Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wish Me Luck >

Wish Me Luck

Wish Me Luck

Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM

[quote= Anyhow... with my move down here I've lost my sewing room. And as a result my sewing drive as well. I do have my machine set up in my room but I can't really sew on it b/c it's on a little bookshelf. Our dining room table is one of the newer "bar stool type" very high, and makes it reaching for my pedal almost impossible when i try to sew on it. So I struggle each time I want to sew in my room or on the dining room table.
[/quote]

Hello Wanda,
Oh dear how exasperating this must be for you. Have you considered buying a small fold down table to put your machine on? I know that some of these tables are not particularly stable but maybe you could have your DH put an extra brace under it across diagonally as it does strengthen the table and make it more stable. You could then take the table out and set it up when needed, the table can also be taken down and stored flat when not required.
I am using a trestle table at the moment which DH strengthened up for me this way. Works well, I had him do the same thing with a small tray table for when I am in the cottage as I don't have the room for the trestle one in here.

Maybe1day
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Hi Wanda, just literally nex city over in Coral Springs, send me a pm and we can look at your sewing options, wouldnt want to lose a close by quilter!:) p.s. Been here since 85 and love it! Smaller homes are harder to work out but doable.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Good Luck, and keep us posted on that sweatshirt. I've been wanting to make one for years but my machine applique skills are horrid (yes, I know I just need practice...) Can't wait to see how yours goes!!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Sorry about your predicament. I used to live in Milwaukee, but DH moved me here 9 years ago. I want to go back - GKs are there!

Anyway, when I'm down in the dumps, I find that spending a little $$$ helps. Would you consider getting yourself a little sewing table - like the Sew-EZ. It doesn't take up much space & can be folded up & hidden when you need to hide it. I moved my sewing space out into the dining room & I have an old version of something similar to this table, not as nice, though. You need to get a corner for yourself, somewhere. Perhaps getting all set up wll motivate you back into your groove!

Blessings & good luck!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 PM

I agree you should get a card table/TV tray. Plus I love Fl.You will get your MOJO back.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Have you considered a folding table? One that you could put away when you finish working? I am a firm believer in "where there's a will, there's a way." Good luck revamping your mojo!! I believe you can do it!!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Hi Wanda, just literally nex city over in Coral Springs, send me a pm and we can look at your sewing options, wouldnt want to lose a close by quilter!:) p.s. Been here since 85 and love it! Smaller homes are harder to work out but doable.
Quite doable. I made my first biscuit quilt while living in a studio apartment!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Just my two cents... I was a military wife. We lived in many places over my husband's career. I loved every one of them. Each place had it's own charm. I knew many military people who hated everywhere they went... hated each community. It is a choice. Look for the good, find friends, quilters, people who enjoy the things you enjoy. See what is unique about your community. I love to find novels by local authors. That gives you another picture of where you are. Maybe it is a great time to make a beachy quilt! Man, those colors in the Ft Lauderdale area are wonderful. Check out a sunrise over the water. I lived in Ft Walton Beach for three years. I hope you find things to enjoy there. I wish you the very best!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Whernandez
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I've been a member of the group for a very long time, but just recently just started posting.

I am originally from Chicago, IL., but now reside in FL. I really do dislike it here, and wish my hubby would reconsider and decide to move back home. Anyhow... with my move down here I've lost my sewing room. And as a result my sewing drive as well. I do have my machine set up in my room but I can't really sew on it b/c it's on a little bookshelf. Our dining room table is one of the newer "bar stool type" very high, and makes it reaching for my pedal almost impossible when i try to sew on it. So I struggle each time I want to sew in my room or on the dining room table.

I am going to see if I can put all that aside and see if I can manage on getting a project done. Before I moved down to FL, my mom and I watched a show segment of Sewing With Nancy, and she had a guest Mary Mulari, and she was converting old sweatshirts into Jackets.

Well, I did buy a sweatshirt way back when, and I just recently found it in my storage. This was supposed to be for my mom, and I want to start on it, and see if I can get it done in time for her birthday in September. It's a white sweatshirt, and I'm going to try machine embroidery, and I'm going to try and line the inside of the sweatshirt after I complete the embroidery so that you can't see the raw stitches from the inside. It sounds like a lot, but I need to get back my mojo. I love sewing and machine embroidery, and quilting I just hope my finished project looks as pretty as Nancy and her guest Mary.

Thanks for listening! I'm gonna go looking for designs now! I'll post pictures when I get something done! lol

Thanks
Wanda
I had to stay with some friends for a while once. All they had was a bar-type eating area, which I chose to sew on if I wanted to sew at all. The husband was gracious enough to bring in 2 cinder blocks and placed them on a mat to protect the floor. I put my foot pedal on top of that and was able to sew away at a new level.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
I have used a folding card table to set my machine on, do you have room for one? Or a sturdy tv tray? You can always fold up the card table and put it away and store your machine on the shelf.

Downsizing isn't always fun.

Carol J.
I was thinking of the TV tray also. It is out of the way when not in use, but will likely fit your chair. There is also a pattern for covering a TV tray to use as an ironing baord to go with this idea. lol :)