Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top.. >

Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top..

Need help and or advise on finishing someone else's top..

Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 AM

You could add kind of wide borders and then cut them a little wonky to square it up, and it would draw the eye from the wonky blocks to the border, and would maybe look intentional. So sorry for your loss, and I am sure, no matter how you finish it up, your daughter is going to love it. Good luck with it, I hope it isn't too much of an emotional trial to finish up.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 PM

border it and cherish it....
Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 PM

I wouldn't change a thing except to use the advice of others about putting on a border and squaring it up. I helped a group of ladies learn to quilt a few years back. When it came to the quilting (by hand) one of the elderly ladies who had been a wonderful quilter in her younger days, was embarassed because her quilting was uneven, wobbly and the stitches were long. She called them "toe-hook" stitches. She said that I would probably want to remove her stitches later before giving it to the wounded Marine it was made for. I could never have removed her stitches; they made the quilt all the more meaningful and I let that Marine know how special it was.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:29 PM

I agree with QuiltnCowgirl, the quilt is a treasure just as it is. Would love to see the completed quilt....
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
You know - I found a quilt top that my mom "pieced" in her rough, zig zag stitch method. I am going to do nothing more that add borders, backing & bind it as is. It was handled & touched by her in her own way. I can't & shouldn't change that. It is a part of her; the history she left behind.

I think your Aunt's quilt top will be just fine finished as is. Like you say - every stitch was an effort for her, but I'm betting that it was an effort made with love & determination during a rough time in her life. It deserves to be finished, cherished and loved in memory of your Aunt.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 PM

I agree with this. It was her work and labor of love.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
You know - I found a quilt top that my mom "pieced" in her rough, zig zag stitch method. I am going to do nothing more that add borders, backing & bind it as is. It was handled & touched by her in her own way. I can't & shouldn't change that. It is a part of her; the history she left behind.
I helped my mother finish a Grandma's Flower Garden that her grandmother and mother had started in the 1930's. My great-grandmother was a very impatient stitcher, and we can tell which parts she worked on. Rather than trim the sides straight, we appliqued it all, tidy and messy alike, to a border piece so that we wouldn't lose any of the personality. I love the wonkiness of quilts -- if you want it squared, I agree with putting the borders on and squaring those up.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 PM

DEFINITLY SQUARE IT UP AND FINISH IT. THERE IS TOOOOO MUCH SENTIMENTAL VALUE THERE.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM

i would put a border and square it up
Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Put a wider border on it, and then square up the whole top... that way you can leave her portion as is, and still have a square up top :D:D:D
I agree!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
Originally Posted by amma
Put a wider border on it, and then square up the whole top... that way you can leave her portion as is, and still have a square up top :D:D:D
That's what I was thinking. I think it looks great!
I, too, completely agree. What a wonderful way to be able to honor her love and memory. You are so blessed to have this special treasure and opportunity. Hugs and smiles, Linda