Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wheelchair quilt >

Wheelchair quilt

Wheelchair quilt

Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 AM

It happens all the time in nursing homes and it seems strange that we take the time to put our loved ones names on it - and they seem to go for a walk regardless. In this case I'd ask them to keep an eye out - it could have been a resident who loved it - came in and "stashed it" somewhere just to be cruel - that happens too - jealousy cause they did not get one - or that they liked another one better than her own - or whatever... one lady took a dolls head off the body of another's favorite doll - she loved her doll and took it with her everywhere - it was her baby - she knew no better and even with the head gone - she carried that "baby" and cried daily till one day they found the head under another ladies mattress - how she lifted that mattress to get it there - ??????? but anyway lost was found, but not in as good of shape after the fact - but the "baby" could not be replaced with another either; it was HER baby and she would not "adopt" a new baby - how sad when our love ones get to this stage - and get "robbed" to boot... just so unnecessary -
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
nursing homes are notorious for missing resident's personal items!
Amen to that
Old 07-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
nursing homes are notorious for missing resident's personal items!
Amen to that. I have a friend that that happened to. She had pictures & names of items she had brought to her relative and gave them to the home and told them that her attorney had the same information. All of the stuff reappeared.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 PM

The papers we signed when dad went to live there said they were not responsible for missing items. I bet all of them say that. Just like hospitals.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:55 PM

I'm disappointed to read that so many are assuming it's intentional stealing by staff members rather than normal inadvertent misplacement or confused residents who are responsible. While I'm sure that there is a certain amount of theft, I prefer to believe that the majority of the time it's relatively innocent error of some sort. I would report the problem and try to resolve it without threatening accusations. It always worked for me, and we went through this several times with my mom's stuff. I do hope you are successful at retrieving your quilt.

JMHO.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:57 PM

I HATE THIEVES!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Sorry to say this happens all over the World.
I made my Cousin a wheelchair quilt. I have not
seen it from the day I gqave it to her.
I made it in her favourite colours so dont think
that she gave it away. Also a blanket that I cut
to size and Bound. Just went missing.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 PM

What a sad story. Hope it turns up soon. :-(
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I'm disappointed to read that so many are assuming it's intentional stealing by staff members rather than normal inadvertent misplacement or confused residents who are responsible. While I'm sure that there is a certain amount of theft, I prefer to believe that the majority of the time it's relatively innocent error of some sort. I would report the problem and try to resolve it without threatening accusations. It always worked for me, and we went through this several times with my mom's stuff. I do hope you are successful at retrieving your quilt.

JMHO.

I wish I could believe it was an innocent error. All those hats I made didn't walk off by themselves. I could believe mabe one or two, but TWENTY???? They dissappeared one at a time.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by deenatoo
That is why I did my Mom's laundry for her. Even with that, some things disappeared and some strange things appeared. She was in an alzheimers unit and I can't blame the residents for wandering and picking up things. You will probably never find it...sorry...
My Grandmother was in an alzheimers unit and her dentures disappeared. Another patient was known to go room to room acquiring things. Oh my gosh.....we found Grandma's dentures in the other lady's mouth.