Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping with DH  for fabric.  Do you take him along?  Why  or why not? >

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Shopping with DH for fabric. Do you take him along? Why or why not?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:02 AM

I take mine whenever I can, he has a great eye for color combos!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:08 AM

Love my DH, but prefer to fabric shop alone! I can think and make better decisions when I don't have someone waiting for me! When he does "travel" with me to a fabric store, he takes something to read in the car! :)
Old 08-06-2011, 05:55 AM

I don't take him if I can help it. He is one of those stoic starers. He crosses his arms and gets a glazed look. If I ask him about some fabric, I have to get his attention first. Then he just shrugs and smiles and says - Whatever you like honey.

I just leave him home to watch baseball.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Heard a good one the other day - 'shopping with your husband is like fishing with the game warden'. Funny, but I don't find it true. He drives, I shop.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey1
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Not unless we're out of town. He may browse a bit and then leave but he never rushes me :)
Same here, but I always feel guilty leaving him in the car waiting. He says it's no problem, but I still don't feel like I can "browse" knowing he is waiting.
I agree.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:02 AM

I can't drive to bad leg so my husband has to take me to the LQS. When we arrive his first words are "are you going to be longer than 5 minutes?". He does not mind my spending money is the waiting that gets to him. :-D
Old 08-06-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
No, because he's color blind and no help at all. He'll take me to Lancaster while I shop for fabric because he gets to eat at a buffet.
Would that be Shady Maple? We live just about an hour from there but we go there a lot...especially their grocery store.

Another great place to eat is the buffet at Yoder's in New Holland. They have a nice grocery store there too. The best broasted chicken I have ever ate. I've been know to eat 8 pieces at lunch time. lol And their breakfast buffet is awesome too. And another great breakfast buffet is Diener's on Route 30 beside Dutch Haven. I've been known to drive to Dutch Haven just to pick up shoo-fly pies. The best wet bottom shoo-fly pies. I have their recipe...from a book I bought there many years ago. But trying to cut it down from like 40 pies to 2...it just doesn't turn out quite right. lol
Old 08-06-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by skothing
I asked my husband to stay in the car while I went into the LQS. He asked why was I going to long, no I just want to pick up my BOM and leave. I have too much now in fabric. If he comes with me, I buy way to much. Honey, do you like this?

I need time to think how and which person I would use it for .

So for my pocketbook sakes I try not to take him.
i didn't know tornado's went inside too !!! call me i'll help you !!!r u in there !!!!lol
Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 AM

Not for routine shopping but if he goes to a quilt show with me, he "helps" me shop and he's great fun to be with so that's okay. I don't buy fabric these days unless I need it for something specific though. I have quite a lot accumulated, although it's on shelves and sorted by color so perhaps easier to figure out whether I already have what I need.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:10 AM

I love buying fabric with my DH because of his art background and has wonderful taste.