Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle reminders >

Needle reminders

Needle reminders

Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

What a fantastic idea, I'll have to try it, and I just happen to have some straws in the house. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:50 AM

I had the same problem especially with my LAQ, so I started keeping a small note pad by my machine with the size of needle presently in the machine, project and the fabric type, it's been a good reference.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
Ok, I admit I am getting older (52) and I have difficulty remembering which needle is in my machine! I switch projects a lot and change my needle (when I remember) to the project I am working on so I could end up with an denim needle on a embroidery project. (Its happened)
I need some ideas how to remember which needle I have loaded in my machine. I have tried post-it notes on the front of the machine but I find they fall off too easily. Any suggestions?

Cindy
I recently saw this video:
[url] http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/lessons_video.php/lessons_id/1142/classes_id/1019/teacher/sharonpederson [/ url]
I hope it will be useful to you!
A hug
Old 08-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Instead of a post-it note which falls off, write it on some masking tape or white paper tape, and stick it to the front of the machine in an out of the way place. Or stick it on the frame of the swing-arm lamp you sew with, or some obvious *same spot* all the time.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Because I change needles for a special project long before the current needle needs replacing, etc., here's how I handle it:

When you put a new needle in the machine, show the needle size and type (ball point, sharp, etc.) on a 3/4" piece of masking tape. Apply that tape to your machine right on the front in full view. Then you always know which needle you're using.

When it's time to change the needle for a new project(e.g., embroidery to denim) note on the tape for the removed needle about how many hours you've sewn with it (you should only go 8 hours maximum), and fold that tape around the top of the needle you've removed.

Make a new tape for the needle going into the machine.

When the needles have reached their 8 hours, I keep them in a separate spot as they're just great for perforating paper pieces for new projects.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:40 AM

One suggestion is to buy a "tomato" pin cushion. Write on the segments in permanent ink the size needles you commonly use. Then as others as have suggested, remove the needle when you have fininished your project and put it into the tomato.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM

i use the tomato pin cushion and i have each section labeled with sharpie with the needle info and which ever section is empty thats the one in my machine.

its like this but i just used the red tomato i had on hand

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...+pincushion.do
Old 08-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Needles are so cheap. I really like the idea of just removing and throwing the needle when you've completed your project. When you start your next project determine which needle will be best.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:51 PM

Right After I finish a project that did NOT use a #12 needle, I remove the needle I used and decide whether or not it is worth saving. If it can be reused I stick the needle in the correct part of a special "tomato" pin custion that has each section numbered with a different needle size. I then put a # 12 needle back in the machine since 90% of my sewing is done with this size.( Or in a pinch I don't replace it at all). I also divided the top and bottom sections of the pin cushion and put the sharps above that line and the ball points below it. I always know I have a number 12 needle in the machine'
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by janell2009
I am going to watch this thread... I am 51... do the same thing... yes.. I have had a denim needle in when doing embroidery..... I wish I could figure out a way when I take them out of the package to then identify what they are.. Have bifocals and find it too difficult to read what is on the needle.. I have 2 machines so have to be sure and keep them all straight.. UGH...
I do find the trick using a common drinking straw to help remove and put in new needles... you just hold the drinking straw horizontal and push the needle into one side of the straw. Then it has a handle... it is much easier to put it in and I use that to take it out also, just lay drinking straw on the top of the foot and move needle down by hand and pierce thru one side of straw, loosen the screw.. and it comes out with out dropping into the feed dogs.
I'm your age, but think you have already overcome some of the challenges of our age group1 Way to go! Thanks!