Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle reminders >

Needle reminders

Needle reminders

Old 08-07-2011, 05:05 PM

I have several machines also - I put a color dot on the machines - RED / Green / yellow - that matched pin heads that I had - made a chart on fabric with batting behind it: across the top is the size of the needle (ie 60 - 70 - 80 - 90) and down the side is the type - universal, quilting, topstitch, metallic etc. Then I put the color coded pin in the slot to match the needle in the machine
when I take it out (say metallic) I put it where the pin is on the chart so I can use it again. Hope this helps
Old 08-07-2011, 07:13 PM

I take the needle out of the package and tape with painters tape the package to the front of my machine. I only have one package taped there at any given time and I know what needle is in the machine. I do put a swipe of nail polish on the outside of the package. That is to remind me that that particular needle has been used but still has some "life" left in it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM

I use what is called the needle holster & I love it!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238194.jpe  
Old 08-07-2011, 08:23 PM

I love the Needle Holster. I had never seen it, but it's on my list now. Thanks for the tip, MTV.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 PM

I do the same thing. I remove the needle when I finish a project. Then I know I need to load a new one .
Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
Ok, I admit I am getting older (52) and I have difficulty remembering which needle is in my machine! I switch projects a lot and change my needle (when I remember) to the project I am working on so I could end up with an denim needle on a embroidery project. (Its happened)
I need some ideas how to remember which needle I have loaded in my machine. I have tried post-it notes on the front of the machine but I find they fall off too easily. Any suggestions?

Cindy
Put the post it note on the back end, near the switch, where it is not likely to get knocked off.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:59 PM

I have a gadget I bought several years ago called a Needle Grabbit. It is a heavy magnet covered w/a sheet divided into rectangles with the type of needle in use, i.e., Universal, Stretch, Ballpoint, Denim, Microtex, Quilting and Embroidery with several blank rectangles. You write in the needle size w/marking pen. A small magnet is attached to the board which you use to indicate what size needle you are currently using. For instance, say you use 4 different size universal needles. You would write 100, 80, 90 and 70 in the four universal rectangles. If you are currently using an 80 needle you would place the small magnet in that rectangle to show that's what's in the machine. Wish I could explain it better or take a picture but not that savvy with the computer. This was made by blue-feather.com but many years ago. Don't know if they still make them but you might inquire.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:05 AM

I keep a small notebook handy for what is in the machine, settings used for projects, etc. Keep needles in medicine container (the daily snap lid kind) with lid marked for type of needle.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by janell2009
I am going to watch this thread... I am 51... do the same thing... yes.. I have had a denim needle in when doing embroidery..... I wish I could figure out a way when I take them out of the package to then identify what they are.. Have bifocals and find it too difficult to read what is on the needle.. I have 2 machines so have to be sure and keep them all straight.. UGH...
I do find the trick using a common drinking straw to help remove and put in new needles... you just hold the drinking straw horizontal and push the needle into one side of the straw. Then it has a handle... it is much easier to put it in and I use that to take it out also, just lay drinking straw on the top of the foot and move needle down by hand and pierce thru one side of straw, loosen the screw.. and it comes out with out dropping into the feed dogs.
Make or buy a pin cushion that is sectioned off into multiple sections and them w/a sharpie you can mark the cushion for pin size and type. Put your needle in the right section and you'll always know what it is.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:38 AM

I love your idea of using a straw to insert the needle! I have problems inserting my needles into my machine too!