Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Have a question for you guys and  gals >
  • Have a question for you guys and gals

• Have a question for you guys and gals

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM

I've had Formica, tile and Corian counters - and I like Corian the best. Formica is least expensive, and it's easy to clean, but Corian lasts forever! It's more expensive than Formica, though. I've never seen the attraction of granite, and marble stains easily. I have an 18" X 24" marble slab set into one of my counters for rolling out pie crusts and cookies (love it for that - it's always so cool!), but it does stain easily. I love my stainless sinks. When we re-did the AZ kitchen, I chose a stainless sink.
    Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I need a new kitchen countertop and sink and need some info. What do you have and do you like it? I really don't care for granite and was thinking of quartz or a solid acrylic. I've had a stainless steel sink for over 20 years and was pleased with it and may get one again but needed some input about other types of sinks too. How do they hold up? Was at a friend's house the other day and her acrylic sink of about 15 years is stained and looks as if the top coating was cracked. I thought acrylic was a solid peice, not something with a top coat. That's why I'm asking here as I'm sure to get lots of feedback. Thanks, May

PS: Was all set with a kitchen counter fabricator but glad I didn't give a deposit because they just went out of business. This was the fabricator that several friends and our contractor recommend so I'm really in the dark now.
    Stainless Steel is the best, If you knock over a glass or drop a pottery dish on it, they won't break. ....and it won't burn...or cut, or discolor!
    Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM

I have my old formica counters that seem to have held up really well, I am kind of tired of the granite look and I suspect it will be out of style soon. But I will tell you to be sure and get a faucet that has the pull out spigot. Love using that when I have to fill my big stockpot, I don't have to lift it out of the sink, I can pull the faucet to it and just fill it.
    Old 08-10-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by OHSue
    But I will tell you to be sure and get a faucet that has the pull out spigot. Love using that when I have to fill my big stockpot, I don't have to lift it out of the sink, I can pull the faucet to it and just fill it.
    Absolutely!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Old 08-10-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Originally Posted by OHSue
    But I will tell you to be sure and get a faucet that has the pull out spigot. Love using that when I have to fill my big stockpot, I don't have to lift it out of the sink, I can pull the faucet to it and just fill it.
    Absolutely!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Ditto! And be sure the sink is big enough for the biggest pan you put in your oven - probably the pan you cook the turkey in. Otherwise, you'll be sorry.
    Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 AM

I have the stainless steel sink, one large, one small, LOVE IT! well, I love the size of it, not sure it's the stainless that I love, but I'm happy with it. If I had my choice of countertops, I'd like to check into concrete. I like granite, but I'm starting to think that its overused, now everyone has it. (maybe I watch too many home improvement shows. tee hee)
    Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM

We redid our kitchen about 5 years ago and put in gray, black & white speckled corian counters and an ivory corian sink. Crumbs don't show on the counter and the sink cleans up very nice. The corian men left me 2 cutting boards from where they cut out for the sink and they really show why you should never cut on the corian. It does sand up nicely though.
    Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM

I have granite here in New Hampshire, but soapstone with a deep, double, soapstone farmers sink in my Shipshewana IN home! I much prefer my Soapstone!
    Old 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM

Check all possible suppliers or contractors on The BBB before giving any money. We have a few granite places that are graded F minus which explains there low prices.......
    Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM

Check all possible suppliers or contractors on The BBB before giving any money. We have a few granite places that are graded F minus which explains there low prices.......