Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding; machine or hand? >
  • Binding; machine or hand?

• Binding; machine or hand?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 AM

I sew my binding to the back and then turn it over and machine the binding. I match the thread from the back so that you can blend it in. I make most of my quilts for children and I know that are going to be washed over and over. It is very secure and little fingers can't pull on thead!
    Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 AM

I machine sew the front and always hand sew the back. I love hand sewing, so that is my favorie part of my quilting. It is very relaxing to sit in front of the TV and hand sew the backing. :-D :-D
    Old 09-02-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
    I'm sure this will sound crazy, but I don't even know how to hand sew...lol. I just started quilting almost a year ago, and I am completely self taught. Although, I have got great advice here on this board. I machine sew my binding down to the back of my quilts and then I machine sew the binding to the front with a decorative stitch. I really like it that way. I think it looks so neat. In the beginning, I was sewing it down on the front and then on the back, but you could always see that stitching on the front which looked messy to me, so that's why I started doing the decorative stitch.
    I think its Missour Quilt Co that has an excellent tutorial on hand stitching the binding on the back. I started doing that with my last quilt, and really liked it much better.
    Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 AM

For quilts and wall hangings, I sew it down by hand.

For table mats, place mats and runners with rounded edges, I use a gadget that sews it down by machine. These items will get a lot more use and hard ware than quilts and wall hangings.
    Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 AM

I machine sew on front, hand on back. My sewing machine is in a corner window in my bedroom and in the evening I put on music and sit there with the quilt piled in my lap and stitch away. To me it is the final labor of love in my quilts. I think of the person who is getting it and send my love in each stitch.
    Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I definitely hand sew on the back - it's one of my favorite parts of producing a quilt.
    Me too! It is the last and finishing touch.
    Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM

I too hand sew on the back. Too much hassle to machine stitch it down and have it look good
    Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM

I machine sew to the top and hand stitch to the back.

Why? you ask. I cannot get a good-looking machine stitched finish on my binding, so I now avoid that annoyance and the waste of time and effort. I always make bed quilts and, with the large size & the weight, it's a struggle to do one by machine, only to have it look crappy. I much prefer the last step of my quilt to be enjoyable and look good when I'm finished. With me & the quilt both sitting on my bed, the hand stitching process is relaxing and I'm not having to deal with the weight of the quilt.
    Old 09-02-2011, 08:23 AM

I machine the front and hand the back. After several experiences, it just looks better as sometimes I am not as steady as I'd like to be and it shows.
    Old 09-02-2011, 08:27 AM

This is a good idea. I started a year ago also and I had not thought of using a decorative stitch on the front. But I am ready to bind a queen size quilt and I think I will try this.

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
    I'm sure this will sound crazy, but I don't even know how to hand sew...lol. I just started quilting almost a year ago, and I am completely self taught. Although, I have got great advice here on this board. I machine sew my binding down to the back of my quilts and then I machine sew the binding to the front with a decorative stitch. I really like it that way. I think it looks so neat. In the beginning, I was sewing it down on the front and then on the back, but you could always see that stitching on the front which looked messy to me, so that's why I started doing the decorative stitch.