Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting & Hand Binding....I must be crazy! >

Hand Quilting & Hand Binding....I must be crazy!

Hand Quilting & Hand Binding....I must be crazy!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Well I've gone and done it now....I've gotten it in my mind that I need to repair a quilt my grandmother pieced and hand quilted.

I figured I would do it the SAME way she did....by HAND *gulps*

Anyway some of the quilting has pulled out and a few spots on the binding have a few stitches missing.

Does anyone have a favorite youtube or website that shows hand quilting? I have YET to find a person who still hand quilts...I'm half tempted to go an hour out of my way to the Amish community and ask them...however I'm sure when a man walks through their door looking to learn how to hand quilt they wouldn't know what to say. :P

Anyway, any help is appreciated. There's SO many videos and things to sort through, I thought I'd see if someone had a FAVORITE before trying to reinvent the wheel. :)
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM

You're not crazy...and you might even like hand quilting.

There is a video done by Sharon Schamber showing how she hand quilts without a hoop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDcLMiR2SAo

There's also a tutorial on this board that Andrea "Borntohandquilt" put together that shows how she hand quilts.

If you have any questions, ask - there are more hand quilters lurking here than you might think.

Janet
Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM

I must be crazy too because I do all my quilts like this, for the last 30 years.
Although I am not as crazy as a man (really) I met who did all hand piecing as well.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM

You honor your grandmother by using her techniques. It is so satisfying to reclaim an old treasure and give it new life. You won't regret it.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM

got a picture of the quilt?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I must be crazy too because I do all my quilts like this, for the last 30 years.
Although I am not as crazy as a man (really) I met who did all hand piecing as well.
LOL! Also just to clarify, I don't think people who hand piece or quilt are crazy. I personally NEVER had any interest in doing it this way, OR in ever trying it.

But I guess I need to the learn never to say never....because now I kinda of want to try. :)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Good for you and good luck! I don't have a favorite resource. I watched a couple of videos and looked at some books, but figured, like knitting, I'd just have to get a feel for it. I have not even tackled a "real" project, mind you, but I made some practice sandwiches and just started quilting straight lines. It was pretty satisfying to see myself start to improve (ever so slightly!)with each line of stitching. Fabulous to get more than one stitch on the needle!! I still haven't really settled on a thimble or what finger I want one on, but it's starting to feel a little more natural. I might try quilting a pillow cover soon.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 AM

I advise going to an experienced quilter, Amish or English. Hand quilting is a simple running stitch with a hidden start and finish. Repairing seams might use ladder stitch and applique whatever stitch matches the original.

A personal meeting would be an advantage because he or she can help you identify the areas that need repaired and advise on the technique. Don't worry about sexist judgements--people who love their craft like to share their knowledge with others.

Several of my older friends who quilted had husbands who liked to join them at the frame and stitch, too.

By the way, the Amish people in our area use phones--- call ahead. If there's a fabric shop in the area, ask there for referrals.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Handquilting is not difficult to learn or do. Hey...if *I* can do it, anyone can! LOL

Have you checked with your LQS to see if they know of someone who might teach you?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by miholmes
...I'm half tempted to go an hour out of my way to the Amish community and ask them...however I'm sure when a man walks through their door looking to learn how to hand quilt they wouldn't know what to say. :P
Give in to temptation - you might be pleasantly surprised. Amish and Mennonite men quilt, too. Especially their own horse blankets, saddle blankets, etc. Definately call ahead to the local Amish/Mennonite fabric shop and tell them your situation. They are generally very kind, accomodating, and encouraging :)

Oh - local quilt guilds would likely be helpful, as well :D