My humble childhood

Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
Originally Posted by ncredbird
NICE people didn't have their underwear showing! No bra straps hanging out or backside cracks showing and you wore underwear and a slip. Ann in Tn
I'm so sick of seeing (private things) that I'm not suppose to see and have no desire to see on other people. My mom and dad would never have let me leave to house looking like that, and I would have been too ashamed to in the first place.
Me too. We are raising our 11 yr old DGD and I have to have talks with her quite often because other "little" girls are dressing "naked" at school even though the rules are clearly stated that it is inappropriate attire. The school isn't enforcing their own rules. She thinks I'm antiquated but doesn't really realize that I'm trying to prevent another teen pregnancy. Those children look like hookers and they are innocent! What are their parents thinking?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
Never mind seat belts--as a child, I remember standing on the bench seat between my Mom and Dad in our '52 Ford (it was yellow and my Dad always said 'lemon on the outside and lemon on the inside' Last Ford we ever owned, he hated it so much) and my brother and sisters crammed into the back seat. But I also remember driving with my own son and him lying on the front seat with my hand on his belly and a pillow on the floorboards just in case he rolled (and that was in 1974!!)
I'm sorry to be a wet blanket but this used to MAKE MY HEAD EXPLODE when I saw this (toddler standing up on the front seat of a moving car ) and THANK GOODNESS I don't see it anymore!!

And if you were driving with a baby on a pillow on the front seat, I hope you were only going 5 miles an hour!!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM

[quote=ptquilts]
Originally Posted by GingerK
Never mind seat belts--as a child, I remember standing on the bench seat between my Mom and Dad in our '52 Ford (it was yellow and my Dad always said 'lemon on the outside and lemon on the inside' Last Ford we ever owned, he hated it so much) and my brother and sisters crammed into the back seat. But I also remember driving with my own son and him lying on the front seat with my hand on his belly and a pillow on the floorboards just in case he rolled (and that was in 1974!!)
I'm just as nostalgic as everyone else but as the child they had to pry out from under the glove compartment in shock and my baby sister knocked unconscious because she was in the seat next to my mother when a drunk rear ended us, I'm glad we have seatbelts now. Of course our parents didn't know any better then and they thought they could throw that stiff arm out and catch us, which Mama tried. I was a mother hen and my car didn't move until everyone was belted in and no one was allowed to ride up front until they turned 12. They thought it was a rite of passage. LOL I also rode in the back of a pickup on the side of the bed- I had good balance back then but don't tell my kids.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by mim
yeah -- I forgot the cheese -- the only time we ever got cheese -- yummy!!!

I wonder why the gov't doesn't buy stuff from farmers for surplus foods now instead of paying them NOT to grow produce. Perhaps it isn't politically correct to distribute unbranded foods instead of expensive things with food stamps. We certainly happy to get food that we didn't usually afford.

Mim

Originally Posted by Pam 304
Oh the cheese was soooooooo good!!!!!
There is still a commodity food program from the government, called CSNP, I think. Some states have it and some don't. Your congressperson has to ask for it.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Selenaquote=ptquilts
. I was a mother hen and my car didn't move until everyone was belted in and no one was allowed to ride up front until they turned 12. They thought it was a rite of passage. LOL I also rode in the back of a pickup on the side of the bed- I had good balance back then but don't tell my kids.
Yes what happened to this?? I wasn't allowed to sit in the front of the car until I turned 13, in 2006, (unless it was when we needed to fit 6, very rarely, in the car. Then my brother once he was out of a car seat got to sit in the front middle, there was a seat belt there, but before he was out of a car seat, I got to sit there) and the same with my brother. Now I see so many little kids sitting in the front seat. Sometimes my friends are letting little kids sit up front once they're out of car seats but just move the seat as far forward as they can. I thought they were safer in the back seat??
Old 09-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by mim
yeah -- I forgot the cheese -- the only time we ever got cheese -- yummy!!!

I wonder why the gov't doesn't buy stuff from farmers for surplus foods now instead of paying them NOT to grow produce. Perhaps it isn't politically correct to distribute unbranded foods instead of expensive things with food stamps. We certainly happy to get food that we didn't usually afford.

Mim

Originally Posted by Pam 304
Oh the cheese was soooooooo good!!!!!
There is still a commodity food program from the government, called CSNP, I think. Some states have it and some don't. Your congressperson has to ask for it.
Thanks for the info.
Pam
Old 09-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Tarzan was half nekkid and so was Jane. they were also shackin' up. and where, exactly, did Boy come from? and Cheetah?

:lol:
It had been many years since I had seen a Tarzan movie. A couple of months ago, one was shown on AMC or some such channel. To my utter amazement, I was shocked by how little both Tarzan and Jane wore! Guess, as a kid, I never noticed. Now-a-days, nakeditity is so common, I don't really notice it in a film. I suppose I had different expectations from films that old. Silly me! :-)
Old 09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
mim

not only that -- they were "living in sin" I guess it was OK if you lived in the jungle -- did we ever wonder what they ate?? and where it came from??
Mim

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Tarzan was half nekkid and so was Jane. they were also shackin' up. and where, exactly, did Boy come from? and Cheetah?

:lol:
It had been many years since I had seen a Tarzan movie. A couple of months ago, one was shown on AMC or some such channel. To my utter amazement, I was shocked by how little both Tarzan and Jane wore! Guess, as a kid, I never noticed. Now-a-days, nakeditity is so common, I don't really notice it in a film. I suppose I had different expectations from films that old. Silly me! :-)