Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would this be weird? >

Would this be weird?

Would this be weird?

Old 09-11-2011, 08:10 AM

It's a great idea. I went with my Dad when he was heathy and pick out a coffin and cemetery plot. It made it easier when he passed away that we didn't have to worry about doing this. I wish we had pick out the stone at that time because I had to do it later and was not happy with how it turned out.
I think it's a good idea to take care of as much in advance as possible.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 AM

You will be remembered for what is dear to your heart. Go for it! We just put our stone in the cemetary next to our dear granddaughter whom we lost when she was 3 mos. old. She would now be 25, and with our stone there her space doesn't look so forlorn.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM

I love this humor. My sister wants to be laid out sitting in a chair, and her voice saying, Thank you for coming to visit now. You are a little
too late.

Originally Posted by arimuse
I like that idea. I want to be cremated since my parents are buried in one place, my first hubs in another state, current hubs's wife is somewhere else, both his parents are in separate places, and we're in a differnet state altogether.

I just want a spot with my parents & 1st hubs - there is a place for me there - dont want the whole thing, only a small space on his grave for a very small stone -(not to be buried) and s tone with a solar cell and a voice/motion sensor so I can record"Hey! Watch were you're standing!" when anyone walks to close to those graves! They all had a sense of humor! I think they would like it sharet
Old 09-11-2011, 08:14 AM

my mother tried that and it didnt work.she thought shed get the stress off me her primary caregiver and have everything decided before she passed she had bought plots when my dad died so that was taken care off a couple years after she bought her casket. well when she found out she was terminal she picked out her clothes and started worrying about a stone.
she and i went to to the place she picked it out i put it on layaway she didnt think i should pay alone so she told my brothers to help pay. 1 did and 1 didnt but i paid his part. the one that didnt hasnt stopped complaining in the last 10 years. i
informed him it was what she wanted and i just paid she picked every detail herself and im sure i havent heard the end of it yet.
if you do that whatever you choose make sure your kids know you picked it that way.
carla
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
My dh and I decided we would buy our tombstone together and not leave this task to our children. He is going to put his USMC emblem or such on it and suggested I could put a little sewing machine or quilt on my corner. I like the idea but is this weird?
Nope...not weird...it's a good idea...after my uncle retired from Duponts, he was an auctioner...my aunt was a lifelong doll collector...on their tombstone, on his side is a gavel, and on her side is a doll...it is fantastic to do it beforehand and one less thing your family must do at a difficult time...Naomi
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Because I had to do this task for 2 husbands, my mother and my daughter, I have my entire good-bye set. I have pre-paid everything. I feel this will help them get back to business and raise and protect the future generations. And I will know that my wishes will be fulfilled.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 AM

Not weird at all. I have seen many joint stones, DH and DW, Aunt,Uncle...one of them I remember was a foot ball, and on the other side flowers.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Not at all. I know lots of people who have picked their tombstone ahead of time. In fact, my second hubby had a stone the cemetery had trashed, resurfaced and fixed for himself. Let it sit in our yard for a while and then set it at his gravesite about 3 yrs. before he passed away. Makes sense to me.........saves the kids the trouble and you get what you want!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:45 AM

It's a very thoughtful thing to do, unfortunately most of us just can't face the task. And to personalize it is a great idea.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 AM

People put any thing and every thing on tombstones now adays. If your husband was in the service, he is entitled to a free stone, engraved and an emblem of the branch of service he was in. We just checked it out and we were in the process of arranging our funeral etc. I got so emotional,it was like one of had already died. We had to leave and have never gone back, but we will have to get to it, sooner or later.