Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Yes...another quilting magazine question. >
  • Yes...another quilting magazine question.

• Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM

I also received the offer in the mail and discarded it. There is no way I would even consider purchasing a subscription to any magazine that charges $5.95 for shipping.
    Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I usually go to my library and read the quilt mag Then if there is enough things in it that intrests me I will go buy it
    Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM

At one time I would use my coupon at JoAnn's and purchase a quilt magazine. No longer can you use the coupon for a magazine, because they always put 10% off. I quess they finally decided that too many customers were doing that. If you bought a mag for say $5.99, you could get 40 or 50% off, that was a good savings. At 10% off would only be approximately .60 cents. What a difference.

Note: Our library has all mags except guilting ones.
    Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 PM

I have had a subscription for about 10 years. Love this mag. I have subscribed to ALL of the quilt mags and drop the others after a year or two. American Patchwork has always kept me interested in projects, information, and even ads. I get a lot of info about new fabrics, etc. thru the ads. I am a 30 year quilter and love mostly traditional quilts. This is the mag for me.
    Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM

I did not renew.....liked others better.
    Old 09-28-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by judi wess
    When I first started quilting, I subscribed to a number of mags. My faves were QNM, Quiltmaker and Lady's Circle Patchwork quilts. The Lady's Circle seemed to disappear and I was so sad.
    The one I would like now is Quilting Daily. I look for mags I can learn from now and am doing more art work so this one is more worth my while and money. Also...I have EQ7...don't need but a few mags.
    Judy, I think Quilting Daily is the on-line companion to Quilting Arts magazine. Pokey Bolten is the editor of both. Quilting Arts is available in subscription, but I like to buy it in person. Not much of a discount. I think I figured out that you don't get enough off the newsstand price to buy one on the newstand. I really like their Studios mag, but at $14.99 an issue - that's the price of a book & books don't have ads!!!
    Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
    I love the mag, but you could buy a copy locally and decide for yourself. I subscribe based not on how many patterns I think I'll be able to use but more as inspiration for my own quilting.
    I agree, I love it, but not every issue is perfect. you can by it at Barns and Noble or local newsstand. try it out.
    Old 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
    I received the same offer. Nowhere could I find how many issues there are in the year, probably 6, but it doesn't say ... unless I somehow overlooked it. It's a moot point for me, though, because I already have a few hundred magazines and need no more.
    Yes, 6 issues a year, or fewer if they decide to have a special double issue. That's why I decided not to subscribe.
    Old 09-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Alot of the the current magazines offer alot of the same things. BH&G (I do have a 2 year subscription) is like most of the magazines out there. There are a few informative articles. The projects for the last few years (in my opinion) are for quilters who like quick projects...bags, wall hangings, table toppers, and lap quilts. Most of the quilt sizes are not much bigger than 50 square. A pattern that is considered advanced is usually one with applique or alot of pieces. Patterns are usually more modern and focus on using specific fabric lines. You won't find a broken friendship star or other traditional (and sometimes difficult) patterns. I get subscriptions to alot of the magazines and truthfully, I haven't worked on any featured projects in two years. I'm someone who likes a pattern and then, instead of trying to find the specific fabric line to get that look, like to do my own thing. The problem why I haven't made any of the featured projects in two years is that the pattern isn't interesting (made many shooflys, etc..) and I don't want to go buy a fabric line just to do it. If you want to take a look, buy the mag once and see if you like it. You also might find other copies from our board members if you think that one mag isn't representational (some months in any magazine are better than others). The other thing to think about is what do you like and where are you on your quilting odyssey? What do you expect from the magazine for your money? Also, you can go online to AllPeopleQuilt.com and look at the free projects offered. It is the BH&G website. It takes a while to load and navigate but there are many, many free projects. There are also variations of a quilt using different colors and fabric lines...Laura Boentke(mis-spelled definitely) is excellent and is the expert you mentioned in your post. By the way, if you're asking yourself...why does she subscribe if she doesn't do any of the projects and isn't overly happy with the magazine's quality? The answer is that I have collected these quilting magazines for years and I know they go in phases. I keep hoping they will phase back my way. Anyway, good luck :)
    Old 09-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky Lindy
    This is one of my favorite magazines, I think they have projects that every level of quilter will enjoy. I've been gettting it for about 6 years and love it. Again, it's personal preference, hope you will enjoy it!
    Is your quilt avatar from Quilter's World? It is beautiful!