Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please!: What Size Should I Cut My Scraps? >

Help please!: What Size Should I Cut My Scraps?

Help please!: What Size Should I Cut My Scraps?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Go to www.quiltville.com and check out Bonnie Hunter. She is the queen of scrap organization!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:24 PM

What is a split decision block?
Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I don't cut up my scraps. Because I never know what I am going to use them for in the future.
Ditto
Ditto X 2!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Yep, this is a great way to go. I use her scrap user system too. I only cut things that are under 1/8th of a yard or so. All around fat quarter size goes into drawers in a dresser by color. I put these small size squares (1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2") into the .99 clear shoe boxes by size. I use these as beginners and enders, sewing 1 light and 1 dark square together prior to piecing. This saves a lot on thread.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:59 AM

Love, love, love! Bonnie Hunter's site...have you seen the pictures of her stash??? Cool!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM

I plan on using Bonnie's method. Looks like a great way to have pieces ready to just grab & piece.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Mary
Hi, I am a newbie quilter so I need your voices of experience. I have finally begun to organize my stash and now have a large pile of small fabric pieces ranging from a few inches to about 12" wide. I can't bear to throw them out, and would like to cut them into strips or squares and organize them by color. I heard on Fons & Porter that they like to cut their scraps into 6" and 2-1/2" strips. Does this sound like a good plan? Or...are there better or easier options? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks ahead of time for your help!
When I make my log cabin strips I use 2-1/2 in wide strips, but I fold my fabric in half, selv. to selv. and cut them the on the folded fabric for the length. Then I can use them for Log Cabin quilts or cut them into smaller lengths for sashing or something else.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:28 PM

I am sitting here picking my jaw up after looking at this link... http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Amazing... I am amazed that some of these are done with 1.5" squares! OMG

Beautiful.. makes me want to attempt that .... dare I?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 PM
QM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I cut a lot of 2.5 x 6 for scrap braid quilts and you can cut 2.5 x 4.5 and make split decision blocks.
About 2 years ago, I went thru 6 boxes of my scraps. I trimmed them into "long, skinny", squares of 2.5", 3.5", 4", 5", 5.5" and 6". Some I precut for Dresden plates. I put each type in its own container. I reduced the total amount by about half. I also do 2.5x5.5 strips because I love to do cornerstone stars.

When I have a large bunch of 2.5" squares, I often put together 4 patches or 3D bowties to add to quilts later. I also make scrappy squares to put together later.

I found that I used those precut scraps up pretty quickly.

Cornerstone Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266950[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-266897.jpe  
Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
I am sitting here picking my jaw up after looking at this link... http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

Amazing... I am amazed that some of these are done with 1.5" squares! OMG

Beautiful.. makes me want to attempt that .... dare I?
Sure Rhaorth, go for it! It took me quite a while to get my scraps cut, I just worked for about an hour a day until I got it organized (it can be addicting). You are talking about those left over pieces that are smaller than a fat quarter (that is what I used). I got clear shoe box size - 6 quart, and the next bigger - 16 quart sized from Big Lots. The 6 quart are only .99 and they both have snap on lids. I labeled each box with the size on the end and they stack beautifully.

Now that I have it organized, every time I cut fabric, I throw those small pieces into a basket and every once in a while I go through and cut them into the squares and strips.