Does it bother you?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM

I live in Nevada -- about 8 hours from Las Vegas... it snowed here a couple days ago, and we have more cows than neon lights. It never fails to amaze me how many people don't understand that Las Vegas is not the only thing in Nevada.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Or-Gun. I had to learn too, being from the Midwest.

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I can't understand why Oregon is so hard to pronounce. I think I can pronounce all the other states.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo
Well, I'm from TN where the natives still say it's a ni-i-i-ce ni-i-i-ght for i-i-i-ice cream! A very flat i. People can't believe I'm from TN because I lost that accident long ago. However, we're not all hillbillies!
haha. I have family who lives in Kentucky with that same accent. My mom was giving my cousin driving directions and said, "Turn left on Line street." My cousin asked, "is that spelled L-i-o-n OR L-y-o-n?"
Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I can't understand why Oregon is so hard to pronounce. I think I can pronounce all the other states.
In Philadelphia we say "OR-e-gin." How's that?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM

I'm afraid it's global!
when we were on a cruiseship leaving from miami an american lady asked my DH if he "took me from behind the window"
(as hookers in for instance amsterdam are sitting behind windows)
I have to point out I look more like a grandma then as a sexy lady of the night;)
She said something about wooden shoes also...but at that point I already ignored her completaly.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Nope, what's that Ron White line . . . "You can't fix stupid."
Old 10-09-2011, 01:39 PM

Everyone knows the state of New York is solid city from border to border. What can I mean when I say I live in the country in New York?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM

I had to laugh at this because when I was a kid living here in Arkansas one of my cousins from St. Louis, Missouri asked me if I wore shoes. She was serious too! I wonder where she had heard that?

She's 60 and I just turned 59 so maybe I should tell her the truth about me and shoes... I don't wear them unless I have to. haha
Old 10-09-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
I grew up in Chicago & went to college in Iowa. Many people made comments about "all the gangsters & Al Capone" there. Had I ever met them? This was in 1959. C'mon people.
I'm not sure but I think some of those gangsters hung out in St. Paul, MN. I didn't know them either. LOL
Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Edie
Minnesota - The state with constant road construction, four seasons, Winter, winter, winter and winter. Yah, sure, you betcha! Bunch of Dumb Swedes! Hey, be careful there, I do take exception to that, because I am a dumb Swede!!!!!!!!

The best of all, MINNESOTA NICE! That is what Minnesota is really known for. Minnesota nice! You gotta be here. We have the most beautiful lakes, that doesn't mean you're going to catch anything, the best sports, that doesn't mean they're going to win - Good going Lynx! The most beautiful evenings this time of year. The most beautiful sunrises and sunsets. But mostly, it doesn't bother me what anyone calls us because we know what we are....
Minnesota nice dumb Swedes!!!!! Oh yes, I could throw in Stubborn Germans!!!!! I love my state, I love my city, my street, my home and my neighbors. How many people can really say that all in one sentence.

Oh yah, one more thing......where do people get the idea that we have an accent?

When my mother met my father, my grandfather thought my dad was a gangster in Al Capone's gang here in the criminal laden city of St. Paul. He wasn't! Edie
Very well said but Minnesota has 2 seasons, summer and road repair.
If we have an accent how come news people take lessons to learn to speak like the folks in the Midwest?
Yesterday someone asked the question " If you had to describe yourself in one word what would it be?" I of course said "Nice"
like in Minnesota Nice.