Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hotel Sewing >

Hotel Sewing

Hotel Sewing

Old 02-24-2012, 01:14 AM

If they have a meeting room or conference center, they usually have bigger tables. You might be able to get them to lend you one for your stay.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 AM

What a wonderful treat for you, your friend and your daughter. It sounds like a win, win, win!! Ditto on the lights and power strip. I agree that the hotel will probably accomodate your needs with an extra chair and a table...Have a GREAT time!!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Default We had a great weekend!!!

Hi Friends!
Just wanted to update about my hotel sewing weekend. Cathy & I had such a nice time. I didn't get to the hotel until around 10:00 Friday night. We talked until 3 AM - didn't look at the clock until we were both very tired. We got up for the buffet breakfast, then got to work on our sewing. I don't remember if I mentioned that we were making coats for Cahty's goat babies - they tend to get cold in the spring & she wanted my help in making them. We spent about 2 hours perfecting our prototype pattern, but by the end of the day we were able to completely make 21 goat coats. She had raided JoAnn's remnant bins on weeks when fleece was already on sale, so she got the fleece mark-down along with 50% off remnants. We used two layers of fleece for each coat. Her son's goat babies will wear the boy-ish coats (even if they are girl babies!) and her daughter's goat babies will wear the girl-ish coats (even if they're boys!). The solid color burgundy one is for a Chinese auction at a goat show. We made 3 "elegant" ones without kid prints. I loved the mix & match kid prints, though. I'll attach a photo of a goat in a coat later.

We took a supper break & had an absolutely awesome meal at Texas Roadhouse - even the green beans were outstanding! Yes, I don't get out much! My daughter had a great time at her retreat & wants to return to the same retreat in May. She made some nice friends & everyone was really helpful & kind there.

Cathy spends her summers at fairs to show goats & dairy cows, so she had plenty of tables, lights, extension cords, and surge strips to keep us moving right along. The hotel brought us an extra chair. We were at a Quality Inn suite. Lots of room & a nice place. Thanks to each of you for your support & suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails 100_7570.jpg   100_7571.jpg   100_7574.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM

Default Goat in a Coat!

Here is a new baby boy in his coat. Lots of room to grow - we guessed well!
Attached Thumbnails resampled952012-03-129510-36-3595681.jpg  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:37 PM

What a very unique project. the goat looks cozy.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 AM

I agree with everyone... ask! What is the worst thing that could happen? They say "sorry, but we can't do that..." If they have a conference room, and it is not in use, they very well may allow you to use a corner of it. My guild goes to a "Country Inn and Suites" every February for retreat. They bend over backwards for us.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM

I did something like this a few weeks ago when I met my friend and delivered 8 quilts for a clothing drive in South Dakota. I had to take my sewing machine to finish putting the binding on one quilt.

Here's my suggestions:
1. long extension cord
2. at least 2 lights
3. somthing to pour the water into your iron with. It's tough using those plastic cups.
4. better yet - take your own iron. especially if it's a heavy one. The hotel irons are very light
5. spray starch. That was one thing I didn't carry.
6. If you can take a sewing table - do it. The desk in the hotel we were in was too high and the adjustable chair didn't go high enough. So I was sewing about 4 - 6 inches higher than I normally do. Even sitting on a few pillows didn't work very well.
7. Be sure and take scissors and your seam ripper.

Good luck and have a blast!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 AM

You have received so many good suggestions so I'll only say you might ask to borrow dining room type chair to sit on. I know gals who bring a little tv table and sit on the bed but I think that's uncomfortable.

You and your DD each have a Great Weekend you both deserve it. May in Jersey

Last edited by May in Jersey; 10-03-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 AM

Playing devil's advocate.....Chambermaid comes in after you've checked out and thinks "what was she doing in here; where did all these tiny pieces of thread come from?".

Have a lovely time. Awesome opportunity for your daughter. Seems God-sent for both of you.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm glad that you had a great time - and I hope you can do it many more times!

Goat coats - I think that was a first for this forum! :-)