Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim Quilt? >

Denim Quilt?

Denim Quilt?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 PM

most any of the turning twenty patterns are great for denim try to use different colors of denim
I have been saving old jeans for one for two or three years
Old 04-18-2013, 05:44 PM

I recently completed a great little rag quilt using denim and khaki on one side and "former" plaid shirts on the other... I cut 8" blocks, used a 1" seam and snipped about every 3-4/8". After washing and drying it (at the laundromat, due to massive fluff!!), it frayed up quite nicely! I used no batting.

I'm now collecting more old shirts for another denim quilt!!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Denim rag quilts are great. Nice and cozy with flannel on the back. Speaking from experience don't make your pieces to small, and use at least a half inch seam allowance.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:21 PM

I have made a few denim quilts. I did not use batting with any of them because of the weight. The last one I made was for my daughter last Christmas, with just strips like a jelly roll quilt, and used a light weight blue and white striped fab. looked like (but wasn't) ticking. The first one I ever made I used the pineapple pattern, and blue bandana fab. for the corners, and used the blue chambray fab. for shirts for the back, that a friend gave me turned out great. I tied both of these because of the weight. I have also made one with frayed edges for each block, and colored fab. for the back. They are very washable, but I would suggest because of the weight if it is going to be of any large size to take it to the laundry mat and use their heavy duty washers.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:36 PM

My guild had a lady today who backs all her quilts in denim. She said the main thing to watch out for is the weight of the fabric. I think she said use under 10 oz.---(I may be wrong, on oz. I know someone has mummy for weight--guess I am confused about the 2) Anyway her favorite is to use the brushed denim. She wanted the strong, drag around backing for her son--but honestly she makes quilts with zillions of pieces--I can't imagine dragging any of them around!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 AM

I made a denim quilt and rather than use the snip every quarter inch method I cut the squares on the bias. They were about 5 inch squares sandwiched with a 4 inch bat and 5 inch homespun also cut on the bias. I quilted them with an X on each square and then sewed them together with 1/2 seams. When washed the edges curl and give a nice effect. It saves a lot of clipping and wear and tear on your washer with all the loose threads. With the different shades of denim it is pretty. I also carefully cut the pockets off which created a nice effect with the fading and used the pockets for other projects.

Last edited by citruscountyquilter; 04-19-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 AM

you just have to take them to a laundromat to wash them. They have super large washers
Old 04-19-2013, 07:06 AM

I have enjoyed reading and looking at everyone's denim quilts. Brought back some memories. When I was growing up many many moons ago, Mom would just piece a top - no backing or batting and this is what we used when we went to the river swimming, playing out in the yard, camping and wherever else we would think to drag it. Washed easy and if it got lost or ripped wasn't out anything. I do have one that she made in later years for my son and she serged it.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 AM

I make one ; simple; 12 inch round cut denim; draw a square in center; sew each circle on square line(one row at a time) them I cut a scrap the same as the drawn square; placed in center of denim and them press outside circle in and ironed it. sewed the circle over the square. No batting required. easy to do beginner quilt. You can fussy cut the center square(I used family pictures). Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Before I started quilting, my DH bought me a denim quilt with a sheet used as the backing no batting. I have had that quilt for about 35 years and it is washed often and looks as good as the day it was given to me. It is very heavy and many say never use a sheet for the backing but it has really stood the test of time.