What are your thoughts?

Old 08-21-2013, 03:20 PM

I have to say I have no problem with bride and groom asking for cash in place of a present. Many couples already live together and have just about everything they need in their home. When my daughter and son got married they both asked for cash(if the guest wanted to give a present) towards a deposit for a house. I know for a fact all the money they received was put away towards a deposit and they were both able to buy a house within a year of getting married. No one was invited to their wedding who was not a family member or close friend. Weddings cost so much over here you would never think of inviting someone just to get money or a gift as it would cost you a lot of money per head so you would be better off saving the money yourself. My children wanted to celebrate their wedding day with their families and close friends and if any of them wanted to give a present of money that was lovely but if they did not that was fine also. My sister is getting married in November for the first time at 53 and we are all giving them money so they can have a wonderful honeymoon they certainly don't need another toaster. I agree it is not nice to think you have only been asked to the wedding to provide a cash gift.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It would be tempting to give a check that would be cashable five years from the wedding date!

With both names on it! It would be void if they were no longer together then.
How true...have been to two weddings in the last two years that have both ended in divorce within months (one was2 months, the other 3). I really don't understand young people these days....and they both "lived together" before saying "I do".....hmmmm......