Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Remember that scrappy floral watercolor log cabin?  It's done. >

Remember that scrappy floral watercolor log cabin? It's done.

Remember that scrappy floral watercolor log cabin? It's done.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 AM

Wow that turned out wonderful. I like the third border but what ever you decide I know will be perfect.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:39 AM

:D See? You do that to me. Here it comes again: :D :D

It's not paper pieced--just done in strips. If you're not in a hurry, it's fun. But I always like a second project going when a log cabin is in the works. The fun part is holding the square up to the strips on the ladder--trying to decide which should go next. That's also the time consuming part--making all those decisions block by block. I'm not sure if more or less fabrics helps with that... but adding those fabrics is another fun part. :wink: I got so I could tell right away if a fabric would work well. I ran out of many lights I loved, but thankfully one of my favorite Mennonite shops had about 5 more that fit perfectly. I still need to be on the look out for perfect lights. I plan to keep making these squares.

Borders: I think I want to go with one of the lights for a narrow inner border, then a full floral fabric for an medium outer border... that way it looks like someone was wandering about a field of wildflowers and happened across this enchanted part. :wink: :roll: :lol: :D I, uh, like for my quilts to tell stories. :oops:

That third fabric is winning so far--I love that it has dandelions in it, but it's just two shades too light. I'm headed to a shop today with a friend (she's dragging :?: :?: :?: :wink: me there because they have oodles of black and whites she thinks I need to see!), so maybe I'll see something. I'll let you know.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:57 AM

Karla, I just drool over that one floral fabric. I think it is so gorgeous!
Have I told you what a great job you did? How much I LOVE that quilt? :) :) :)
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 AM

Absolutely stunning!!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 AM

Barnbum - use a solids for the first borders and then if necessary you could use the floral you have for the backing. I think the quilt itself speaks of the beauty. My gosh, that is stunning and I wouldn't want to distract from the quilt with a border. I think, (my two cents) the borders should be framing the quilt making it like a nice matting to a great picture.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:28 AM

Oh, Karla, I think that's the most beautiful quilt I've seen yet!!!! Takes my breath away!!!! You truly did a beautiful job on it!!
I would dearly love to wake up some morning and discover fairies snitched it, and brought it to me!! :mrgreen: lol!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:23 AM

barnbum

I have seen a quilt much like your floral log cabin and I printed it out for future sewing.....I especially like that the lights and the florals are different sizes. I have only seen that once before in a Christmas log cabin quilt where the placements make small wreaths all over the quilt.

It's really quite beautiful. I think that a border off white or cream would be nice.

MJ in NJ
Old 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

well, karla, you know I love this quilt. It is so scrumptious, I could eat it with a spoon!
I like the idea of a solid border with #1 or #3. 3 seems to match the blocks, but that #1 sure is yummy :D
Old 07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

That is absolutely beautiful. I feel like I'm looking at spring. Wonderful job.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Bea

Since I saw your first blocks many months ago I have been watching for your completed quilt and collecting florals. It is a work of art and I can hardly wait to begin making mine. Thanks for all your inspiration.