Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your First Quilt Block Ever? >

Your First Quilt Block Ever?

Your First Quilt Block Ever?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM

sun bonnet sue on a sheet, and then a feathered star quilt kit ,i still have and named it MIst on the mountain in all shades of blue
Old 12-31-2013, 03:59 AM

I think it is called a square in a square. It was the first real block with a design.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 AM

Mine was a Shoofly, and I started by making cushions, eventually felt confident enough to make a quilt.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]454077[/ATTACH]

This is actually my first quilt block ever! I had seen a quilt with these leaves somewhere. I did it late in 1999. I had no ruler and I tried to do my own template using paper. I did in metric! I had no roller cutter but used scissors.

It was such a hassle! I did not attempt quilt piecing for another 7 years! I still have 5 or 6 of these leaves in the bottom of my scrap box. None of them are the same size.
Attached Thumbnails imag0722.jpg  
Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM

They may not have been the first I made, but they came close. I made log cabin baby quilts for my first two grandchildren. Their mother and I were looking at them last week, 30 years later, and the polyester/cotton blend fabrics are as bright as they were the day I finished them. They've been through a lot of hot water and hot dryers in that thirty years. Why on earth do blends have such a bad reputation among quilters? I still use them, mix them with 100 percent cottons, and love them. froggyintexas
Originally Posted by HomespunHearth View Post
What quilt block is the first that you ever made?

Mine was a 9-patch variation in a baby quilt - I think it was called Kings Road - and I actually made it for my grandmother as lap quilt for when she was in her wheel chair. Sadly, the quilt was stolen when she passed away (she was living in an assisted living center and somebody just helped themselves...).

The funny thing is that looking back, I KNOW it wasn't all cotton! At the time (1989 and self-taught) I had no idea what I was doing, so I went to the local House of Fabrics (anybody remember them?) and just bought fabrics that looked good together. I remember I had rayons, polys, and cottons in the mixture.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:42 PM

The funny thing is that looking back, I KNOW it wasn't all cotton! At the time (1989 and self-taught) I had no idea what I was doing, so I went to the local House of Fabrics (anybody remember them?) and just bought fabrics that looked good together. I remember I had rayons, polys, and cottons in the mixture.
My first block was Attic window. I too was new to the quilt world and went to Walmart for materials and advice. Tip, don't ask the cutting ladies at walmart for quilty advice. They told me to add all the mixture fabrics too.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM

What quilt block is the first that you ever made?

Mine was a 9-patch variation in a baby quilt - I think it was called Kings Road - and I actually made it for my grandmother as lap quilt for when she was in her wheel chair. Sadly, the quilt was stolen when she passed away (she was living in an assisted living center and somebody just helped themselves...).

Mine was a 4 patch for the birth of my youngest niece. At 10 years old, she's already got 3 of her own quilts under her belt.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM

I loved quilts from a young age but the first one I did was a home ec class in HS in the mid 70s. The class was one that did units on different needlework skils. For the quilting unit I decided to make a pillow to match the quilt on my bed. I traced the pieces off the quilt and made cardboard templates. I never have seen the pattern name anywhere. It is four diamonds around a square-in-a-square. I did two blocks and added two 2" borders, quilted, then sewed them back-to-back for my pillow. All hand pieced and quilted. I still have it. I just wish it was pretier colors now, it is dark scrappy diamonds with solid forest green and muslin. The quilt came from 3 quilt tops a family friend had given my Mom that had been done by her aunt. One want to the church and was tied and donated to a Mexican orphanage. One was hand quilted by a woman my grandmother knew and given to me, and the last one I tied and gave to my sister.

I made a few baby quilts for friends after that (usually cheater panels or whole cloth) but didn't quilt again until about 10 years ago. When I decided to quilt in 2003, I started with a Joann BOM sampler quilt kit that had precut pieces. That quilt is still on our bed.