Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she >
  • Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

• Was I wrong ~ or ~ was she

Old 05-03-2014, 02:42 PM

I usually cut the binding selvedge to selvedge. Depending on the thickness of the quilt with the batting I usually cut the binding 2 1/4 inch wide. Prefer a narrower finished binding. For those quilters with iphones, there is an app that you can put on your phones and figures out the equations for binding, backing, how much fabric you will need if you know the size and number of sq you need for a quilt. The app in Robert Kaufmann. I just typed in quilt in the search. Installed it and love the convenience of having it with me at all times.
    Old 05-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kat2
    For those quilters with iphones, there is an app that you can put on your phones and figures out the equations for binding, backing, how much fabric you will need if you know the size and number of sq you need for a quilt. The app in Robert Kaufmann. I just typed in quilt in the search. Installed it and love the convenience of having it with me at all times.
    The same app is available for android phones too.
    Old 05-03-2014, 03:21 PM

I have done it both ways with no issues. It I have a long enough strip I will do one...most of the times I do not so I do S/S.
    Old 05-03-2014, 04:31 PM
    Power Poster

I always cut fabrics for borders and binding WOF I use a diagonal seam to join them. I like the extra bit of stretch. Always works for me and my over 120 some odd quilts.
    Old 05-03-2014, 07:39 PM

I prefer not to piece borders unless I have to, but I only make child size to twin quilts. I do usually make bias binding. Lots of good advice has been posted, and some great links. I've rarely run into anyone cutting fabrics at JoAnn's who sews, and many who don't have a clue about cutting fabric or panels accurately. I shop there for sales and novelty fabrics. I usually ask for about 1/4 yard more than I need since I prewash and many fabrics are wonky or cut a bit wonky even though I try to gently educate the cutter. I do commend JoAnns on their policy of selling the rest of the bolt IF it is under a yard for 50% off the current price as they would a remnant. A wonderful woman behind the counter told me about this a few years ago after she asked me what I was making and I told her donation children's quilts. Apparently most of the staff don't know this- you have to ask. I search for a bolt that is on sale and almost gone, then order an amount which will leave less than a yard if cut so I can use this to stretch my meager funds.
    Old 05-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Peckish you made my day, I love your comment
    Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 PM

if you have a smart phone download the Robert Kaufman application (its free) "Quilter's Little Helper" and you will never have to guess or buy to little or too much fabric ever again. Try it, you'll like it!
    Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 PM

I like to cut mine the length of the fabric so I will have less spots that are pieced.
    Old 05-04-2014, 10:04 PM

She gave you advice based on the fact she is running a business and the more you buy the more profit. She has forgotten the I will not be back. Although due to the limited number of shops we do go back eventually.
    Old 05-06-2014, 12:37 PM

gale, I know I should know what SOG is, but it isn't coming to me. Will you enlighten me, please? LOL thanks