Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine? >
  • Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

• Do you use a Serge Protector on your machine?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 PM

When I bought my used Tin Lizzie the Estate sale lady threw in the serge protector that was on the floor beside it, naturally anything free I took it! Wont be able to set up the Lizzie for a few months but when I do the protector will be plugged in. And now reading this I'll be buying a couple more, my husband has one for his old slow computer and his guitar/drum set up so I need to get a couple for my sewing room too. And recently on this board I seen a post about plugging in a regular clock (non battery & non digital) to keep track of the amount of time spent on making a quilt, just plug the clock into the surge protector and turn it on when you start & off when you start so you know exactly how long it took you to make the entire quilt. I finally found the perfect clock for this and will use the protector I got with the Lizzie for this purpose until I am able to be the Lizzie set up.
    Old 06-06-2014, 11:05 PM

Absolutely!!! I also use one in my RV with my machines... campgrounds are notorious for power fluctuations.
    Old 06-07-2014, 02:31 AM

I do, and when I hear a storm is coming I unplug my sweet 16, surge protector and all. We lost a refrigerator and a freezer last year to the electrical storms.
    Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 AM

Absolutely! I was sewing away on my Pfaff and all of a sudden just the light worked...nothing else. Took it for repair and my motherboard had burned out from a surge. Since I did have it on a surge protector I contacted the maker, the Belkin Co. All I had to do was send the protector and the receipt for the motherboard (I think it was around $150.) and they sent me a check. Now I also keep my Ott light on it was well. You can buy single plug protectors that are small enough to just stay on your sewing plug and travel with the machine. Easy as pie and much cheaper than a new motherboard!!

Last edited by KayMarie; 06-07-2014 at 03:55 AM. Reason: misspellings
    Old 06-07-2014, 03:55 AM

We have them throughout the house on expensive electrics like washer, dryer, refrigerator, TV, computer, sewing machines. You get the idea. We also have one that the energy company installed at the electric meter. We are one of the places in the USA that gets a lot of lightning strikes, so that's why we protect our electric items with double protection.
    Old 06-07-2014, 03:55 AM

everything is on surge protector here... refrigerator, microwave, everything ....a friend who lives couple of miles away lost everything electrical that was plugged in, a few years ago....even coffee pot and vacuum cleaner. Lately I have read that surge protectors need to be replaced if they may have taken a hit.
    Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 AM

Yes, especially of my Janome Horizon 12000. I don't want that baby to fry from lightening Additionally, I pull the plug out of the protector when I am done sewing . Can never be too safe.
    Old 06-07-2014, 04:11 AM

I surge protect all my sewing machine and my computers.

I also always bring a surge protector plug in when I go to classes or get away weekends.
    Old 06-07-2014, 04:20 AM

We are all under a false assumption concerning surge protectors. Surge protectors do not protect against lightening strikes. Please go to the following website & read, please.
    http://stormhighway.com/surge_protec...ction_myth.php

I know everyone probably won't read this but it is very important.
    Old 06-07-2014, 06:25 AM

I do and I also unplug my Bernina at the machine to protect it when not in use. I was told to do this by a repairman who knows what his talking about.