Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • If you could have any iron which would it be?? >
  • If you could have any iron which would it be??

• If you could have any iron which would it be??

Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by wildwoodflower12390
    My iron is a Black & Decker "The Classic" Iron. It has some weight to it, which I like. It isn't overly big, and does a good job. Purchased at Wallmart.
    Ditto on this iron. The weight really makes this easy to use without my arm getting tired. And the price (~$25) is right to replace it quickly should it ever fail. I've used it a lot for 3-4 years now with no issues.
    Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 AM

Three years ago when my Rowenta went south a month after the warranty went out, I researched irons and found how much people liked the Braun irons. At the time, Braun had stopped making irons but I bought two used ones on Ebay. This week the first one died and I pulled out the second and it's working great. Braun is now producing irons again and I believe I will buy one.
    Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 AM

OMG now after reading all these posts I don't know where I fall. My favorite is a B & D travel iron that I've bought twice and both lasted many years. I say that is my favorite only because my expensive Oliso spits. DH bought it for me probably 3 or 4 years ago now so I'm sure there is no warranty on it any longer although honestly I didn't check it out, I just stopped putting water in it. I've never used any special water although I do stand it up on occasion. I loved it until then. You say they have good customer service so maybe it's worth a try, but right now I might be back in the cheap iron camp like many of you. Irons are definitely not what they used to be, my mother has had hers ever since I can remember without a problem.
    Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 PM

I was on the side of cheapos before this thread started, and now after reading everything..that's where I still stand. They get dropped,it's just part of having an iron...then your money is shot. They all do basically the same thing....I will stick with my cheap ones. I can buy a 20 dollar iron once a month for a year for what some people pay for a "better" iron...and from the reviews..they aren't. I'm just not that impressed with the so called "better irons"...it's a status symbol.

Last edited by donna13350; 02-28-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 AM
    Power Poster

The solid sole plate non steam iron sold online doesn't last that long. Mine stopped heating up after about three years and so did my friend's. I buy the $9 iron at General Dollar for use with fusibles. It gets just the right temp on high, very lightweight too. Walmart has these same irons every so often for $6. I buy several. They are great door prizes for guild events.
    Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 PM

The Laurastar system is to die for! Swiss & expensive, but durable & SOOOOO amazing. Removes the set in fold crease in one pass!
    Old 03-01-2015, 07:03 PM

I recently bought an Oliso 1600 and really like it. I previously had a LauraStar steam generator that was over 10 years old that I was having problems with. It took me a bit to get used to the Oliso after the steam generator, but I do like it now. I like the auto shut-off (which I wasn't sure I would) and even though it has to be filled much sooner than the steam generator, it heats up so much faster after that it's not a problem. I bought mine from Bed, Bath & Beyond online and used the 20% off coupon and gift cards I got from Discover ($20 cashback buys you a $25 gift card) so in the end it was a pretty good deal.
    Old 03-02-2015, 07:23 PM

I recently purchased a Hamilton Beach iron at Big Lots, and I am loving it. I call it my "Cadillac", nicest iron I've had so far!
    Old 03-03-2015, 06:14 AM

I like an iron with lots of wattage. Proctor Silex makes a good one with 1600 or 1700 watts and uses tap water for steam. Was very reasonably priced. I have had mine for 4 or 5 years now and it is still going strong. It was less than $50.00 so I feel I have gotten my monies worth and more.
    Old 03-03-2015, 07:17 AM
    Power Poster

Irons and hair dryers pulls more power then large appliances. They are on the do not use list when using a generator.