Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Budget >

Quilting Budget

Quilting Budget

Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM

I don't have a budget per se but do have to watch what I spend due to my unemployment and lack of storgae space. :cry: My problem is when I go to a shop out on a farm; her fabric is ONLY $5/yard so I tend to go overboard there unless I am very careful and/or have my daughters with me! I do try to make out of my stash but I don't always have the colors or right shade so have started only buying in 1/2 yards. So sad for me.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by kapatt
"My husband and I are using the Dave Ramsey plan too!!! It is so freeing not to argue over money!!"

Rose

Yes it is!!! I wish I had used this system years ago. There is no resentment because one spent more money than the other one. There are no fights about how much was charged because we don't charge.

Because we have been diligent in paying off our bills, we could up our allowance but I would really like to get to the point that we are debt free.
WE used the Dave Ramsey plan also,we payed off everything and we are debt free. It was tough, but it paid off, when we were forced into early retirement. you must have an emergancy fund!!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM

Thank you for the encouragement Donna. It is getting easier all of the time, especially as we get things paid off. I look forward to the day that we are debt free.
:thumbup:
Old 12-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Maryanne
What's a budget? The next rehab place they open should be for quilters!
Only if we can bring our stash, sewing machine, and all the tools necessary to make lots of quilts. :lol:

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
My husband and I are using the Dave Ramsey plan too!!! It is so freeing not to argue over money!!
Rose
Us too, though we've bought the books. Hubby wants to do the class online and we're waiting until after the holidays to pay for it.

Anne, what a special treasure! Lucky grandkids!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by 3incollege
WE used the Dave Ramsey plan also,we payed off everything and we are debt free.
Who datt?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 PM

I usually buy what I want within reason. But, I only pay cash, so I don't over do it, cuz, by golly, it is sew easy to do.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 PM

I have a monthly allowance for personal purchases which helps me to control my spending. When it's gone for the month, I have to wait until I get "paid" again next month.

Where quilting is concerned, however, if I have a specific quilt in mind when I make a purchase, I draw on our general funds. If I'm spending it just because I like it, then I spend my own money.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by 2 Doods
Budget? I didn't know I was suppost to have one. Don't tell my DH. He has never said a thing about the money I spend. My theory is I purchase it now and when we retire I should have a nice stash.
That, initially, was my intention also. Now that I've retired (12 years) I find that I have less and less time to devote to quiltiing. What a let-down.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:12 AM

Luckily I am now in the retirement years and no kiddies running around and needing any extra $$$$$ that might be available.....
so my spending on fabric and the quilting play toys have become an easier access

There are good things about these aging years....lolol
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by 3incollege
WE used the Dave Ramsey plan also,we payed off everything and we are debt free.
Who datt?
Dave Ramsey is a financial guy who has TV and radio shows. He helps people manage their money by stressing a budget and getting out of debt. I heard about him through my church, but he is not affliated with any religious group or denomination, nor are his shows religious. Its all about people and their money. For some reason his website (www.daveramsey.com) is not working right now for me (at work!) maybe it is the firewall. If you Google Dave Ramsey it will come up. I highly recommend his program!

Rose Hall