Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 January 2010 BOM pictures for January Sunflower Block. >

1 January 2010 BOM pictures for January Sunflower Block.

1 January 2010 BOM pictures for January Sunflower Block.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I redid my block today and it came out much better.

One the directions where it states 1 - 5 1/4 square of the second star points fabric and 1 - 5 1/4 square of the background fabric made into HST, I cut them at 5 1/2 inches and it worked better for me. I'm not all that great at HST and generally need to cut bigger and square up.
Ok, I'm totally dumb when it comes to abbreviations as I am still new, so here comes the blonde question.... what does HST stand for?
I've been here nearly two years and am still learning meanings for abbreviations! I think all of us here on this board would agree there are no 'blonde' questions. Thank you, Patrice , for your quick definition!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Here's my first block of the month block...ever... and my first star block! I've been so intimidated by stars and triangles (though I've discovered I LOVE thangles) that I just haven't done one... until now! It's definitely easier than I thought it would be!

Thanks for the pattern.. I really enjoyed making this block!

January 2010 BOM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63067[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63062.jpe  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Wow ladygen, your first star block ever! It came out gorgeous! And your purples and greens look so nice, way to go! :)
Old 01-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Ok, here's mine, ta da! lol And let me tell you guys, i will never do again what i did this time lol. I thought i would paper piece this one. So i thought i wont use up my computer paper, i will use up hubby's flyers that he collects lol. Well, when it came to taking the paper off, the flyer adds were bright red, yup, had to use a toothbrush to get all the bits of red paper out of the seams, cus if i didnt get them out, maybe the red would run when i wash the block, yup, no more newspaper for me lol. And then i sewed a seam the wrong way, had to undo it, and i dont like rippin, cus i almost always nick the fabric, and yup, cut the fabric, so i sewed a patch on LOL LOL, and well, here it is! lol All from scraps, thrift store bed sheets, and a 50 cent curtain :)

Paper piecing from sales flyers - never again lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63511[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63504.jpe   attachment-63506.jpe  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:57 PM

Cheryl,
That is really nice. I'd like to get started on those BOMs. Do we need to sign up for them?
Pat
Old 01-06-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ladygen
Here's my first block of the month block...ever... and my first star block! I've been so intimidated by stars and triangles (though I've discovered I LOVE thangles) that I just haven't done one... until now! It's definitely easier than I thought it would be!

Thanks for the pattern.. I really enjoyed making this block!
Ladyjen,
Your block turned out so pretty!! Green is one of my favorite colors & I love how you put them together!! :D I am so glad that you have joined in on this fun project.
Cheryl
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Barb M
Ok, here's mine, ta da! lol And let me tell you guys, i will never do again what i did this time lol. I thought i would paper piece this one. So i thought i wont use up my computer paper, i will use up hubby's flyers that he collects lol. Well, when it came to taking the paper off, the flyer adds were bright red, yup, had to use a toothbrush to get all the bits of red paper out of the seams, cus if i didnt get them out, maybe the red would run when i wash the block, yup, no more newspaper for me lol. And then i sewed a seam the wrong way, had to undo it, and i dont like rippin, cus i almost always nick the fabric, and yup, cut the fabric, so i sewed a patch on LOL LOL, and well, here it is! lol All from scraps, thrift store bed sheets, and a 50 cent curtain :)
Barb,
Your block turned out great!! :D It sounds like a good idea not to use flyer paper again for your paper piecing. Who would have thought of the problem it caused you to have. Thanks for sharing, as we have all learned something NOT to do!!
Cheryl
:D :D :D
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
Cheryl,
That is really nice. I'd like to get started on those BOMs. Do we need to sign up for them?
Pat
Pat,

Nope!! :thumbup: There is no signing up for this project. Just watch the board, for the posting the 1st of each month to make your next block. Have fun making them & share pictures.
Cheryl
(sulabug)
:D :D :D
Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM

I just finished mine, but have to wait until my hubby gets home to put the picture on the computer for me.... Wouldn't have been able to finish the block if it weren't for the tutorial that was givin by cutebuns... very detailed and elementary so easy for anyone to understand. Thanks!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM

It's amazing how different the choice of fabrics make this block look. Finished my block last night. One of my goals for 2010 is to use as much of my stash as I can for this BOM. This material for this block was received in a goody bag at a quilting retreat in 2008. I thought with all the triangles this block would be a challenge but all went together really fast and no picking !! Can't wait for Feb.'s.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-63859.jpe