Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who hates their machine threader? >

Am I the only one who hates their machine threader?

Am I the only one who hates their machine threader?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM

You do not know how glad I am to see that other quilters do not like the threader. I wear rading glasses for sewing and I would saw 98% of the time I get the thread through the needles the first time.....and the other 2% is just not as much trouble as taking the time to use that THING. It just makes me frustrated and if I'm going to get frustrated I would rather it be over an error in sewing.....I CAN FIX THAT. Happy sewing..:)
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 AM

I have a Janome and a Babylock and use the threaders all of the time. Two things I found out the hard way...The presser foot should be down before your try to thread. If it is up, parts come together that shouldn't and soon things are out of whack. Also, make sure that the needle is up as high into the machine as it will go. Once my threader wouldn't work and I took it to my LQS to be repaired. He loosened the screw that holds the needle in, pushed the needle up and then it worked fine. The machine sewed fine before he did that, but it was off enough that the threader wouldn't work.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Needle threader....what's that?!?!? My sewing machine is 45 yo and is still plugging along making my quilts! :lol:
Old 01-09-2010, 09:44 AM

I have had 3 Janomes with the needle threaders and loved them all. I just can't see well enough to thread my own any more.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 AM

I bent my needle threader on my Janome the first time I had to change the needle. Hasn't worked right since!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 AM

I love the needle threader on my Pfaff. My old Bernina doesn't have one. What I do hate is the thread cutter. It always cuts the thread so short that when I start to stitch again the thread pulls out of the needle. Does anyone have any tips for using the thread cutter?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Someone else may have already said this (I haven't read all the answers yet). Pfaff has an accessory threader meant for the serger, but it works for ANY sewing machine. I bought an extra, so I have 1 for AZ and 1 for CT. The wire thingy on Pfaff's built-in threader can get bent, and then it won't thread unless you push it back in place, and it WILL eventually break if you have to do that. That's why I use the little accessory. It works for ALL weights of thread and ALL needle sizes.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I have a cheapy Brother XR-52 mechanical and I use the needle threader all the time. It doesn't seem to be fussy about needle or thread type.
lol...I Have started my quilting odeasea on the Brother XR 65 cheap cheap cheap but great machine... Everything works well on it when you use the appropriate needle....
Same for the Brother PQ1500 ...the threader works great...even with the Organ needle ..The organ needle won't work well on some machines....(what a shame they are the easiest to find around me)...
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
I bent my needle threader on my Janome the first time I had to change the needle. Hasn't worked right since!
Hulahoop1 If you mean that you bent the little wire, I have done that also and I just very very carefully bent it back so that it would go through the eye of my needle. It you don't work carefully it could break off. Hope this will help you.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM

I understand the thread cutter problem.
This happens usually if I am using a thin thread like Bottom Line and the needle hole size is too large, changing to a 80/12 (or smaller) topstitch or Microtex needle usually helps this problem,
There is also the possibility that you can get this adjusted (make the length longer before it cuts) at the shop when you have it cleaned - I was told this by the dealer when I got my machine.