Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent) >
  • Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

• Why, oh why do I go to Joanne Fabrics? (JUst need to vent)

Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 AM

I think "Loading the Needles is cute," Isn't that what we do?
    Old 03-02-2010, 05:46 AM

Howdy, to order on ebay, just google in ebay and their website will come up. Click on search for crafts>sewing and fabric, or click on all categories for the items you are looking for, and they will come up. If you become a registered member of ebay, you will have a page called "my ebay" and your order history, etc. will be saved for you. Just play around with it. It's loads of fun and there are great savings. Good luck!!
    Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 AM

I guess I'm lucky. We have a very active ASG chapter in my area and also four JoAnns, north, south, east and in the next suburb. They have been very cooperative and we have neighborhood groups that meet in each store. The employees are very often from the LQS's that have closed and most already know us. When we have our annual and semi-annual ASG events, the stores often donate merchandise for our door prizes.

Granted, the fabric is not always the best but please consider those people like me who love to sew and are on very limited budgets. Most of our LQS are very expensive. I don't expect my quilts to last forever (tho a couple have), so I buy what I can afford, have the joy of working with the lovely materials and colors and just enjoy.
    Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 AM

I've never had a problem at my Joann's. I usually buy interfacing with my coupons (I make t-shirt quilts & go through interfacing like crazy!) Books I buy off Amazon. I have the Prime membership so shipping is free.

I'm convinced that unless you buy anything from a small, local store, you aren't going to get good service. The larger chains just seem to hire anyone. It's very frustrating but it's the sign of the times. For me, I would rather go to a smaller store & get good service than go to a chain with horrible service.
    Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by PamQuilts
    I'm convinced that unless you buy anything from a small, local store, you aren't going to get good service. The larger chains just seem to hire anyone. It's very frustrating but it's the sign of the times. For me, I would rather go to a smaller store & get good service than go to a chain with horrible service.
    I am sooooo totally with you on that one! :D
    Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 AM

Send a complaint letter to Walmart. They own Joann.
    Many of their clerks don't know what they are doing.
    ceegee :?
    Old 03-02-2010, 06:25 AM

I feel your pain & couldn't agree more. I always leave that place unhappy about numerous things & would boycott it completely but we have no choice in our area--not even WM. :( Has anyone else noticed how they stretch the fabric when measuring to cheat you out of every 1/4 inch. I once bought the end of a bolt & there was 1 1/2 inches over the yardage I wanted so I told the clerk I would go ahead & take it,thinking she would give me a break. NOT!! She charged me full price for that 1 1/2 inch even though it wasn't even cut straight! I don't know who I was most angry with--her for charging me or myself for taking it.
    Old 03-02-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Daisygirl
    I guess I will have to try eBay for the blades, I never would have thought of that.
    Thanks for all of the replies, I am glad I am not the only one with problems.
    Yes I guess I will have to also try ebay-does anyone have a link that they like for blades? I had no clue Olfa blades were so expensive-the cheapest I have seen them is 7.00.
    Old 03-02-2010, 06:31 AM

WalMart owns JoAnns? No wonder.

I went yesterday and got 2 yards of material. And I was short 13 inches. Needless to say the border on my quilt will now be pieced.

But other than that when I talked to the manager about it she seemed at a loss as to how to instruct her employee. So I had to explain what she needed to do to make sure the employee was friendly and accurate.

I must be getting old because the service doesn't seem to be what it used to be.
    Old 03-02-2010, 06:48 AM

We only have the one store, and it is about the only place around to get any variety in cloth without losing your shit. The staff there is for the most part very pleasant and somewhat knowledgeable.However I have noticed that their prices just took a pretty good hike.Fat quarters are now$1.99. .50 hike. And most days you could get them for $.99. I guess those days are gone.
    By the way, most of the employees are older people.