Cat litter training advice

Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM

What are the websites he recommended?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
What are the websites he recommended?
http://www.fabcats.org/

Can't remember what else right now, but have a little sheet of paper somewhere...
Old 03-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Power Poster

Oh wow...I didn't know you had the box upstairs...I had a girl that would NOT use an upstairs box for anything. I had to set up one downstairs for her. She peed all over downstairs prior to me finally getting smart enough to move her box.... :roll:
Old 03-09-2010, 04:52 PM

I just left it in the room she was first in because I thought moving it would confuse her, and because she still goes in there to sleep sometimes. Since I moved it she has used both the boxes, even though one has always been downstairs and now they are in the same bathroom across from each other. Clearly I wasn't speaking cat very well!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 PM

Just a little correction, a female gets spayed and a male gets neutered and for the both it is called altered. Sorry, it is a common mistake that alot of people make. I use to be an ACO and you should hear some of the things people say. The funniest one to me is people who call Rotties a "Rock" weiler.

I hope the test come back negitive for UTI, but on the other hand it's alot easier fix if it is.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boxer mom
Just a little correction, a female gets spayed and a male gets neutered and for the both it is called altered. Sorry, it is a common mistake that alot of people make. I use to be an ACO and you should hear some of the things people say. The funniest one to me is people who call Rotties a "Rock" weiler.

I hope the test come back negitive for UTI, but on the other hand it's alot easier fix if it is.
I think this is a language thing - in the UK we use the word 'neutering' to refer to the generic 'fixing' of male and female animals. Males are castrated and females are spayed. :-D
Old 03-10-2010, 04:24 AM

We are never too old to learn, good to know. Castrate sounds harsh but it is what they do.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boxer mom
We are never too old to learn, good to know. Castrate sounds harsh but it is what they do.
Lucky for us we're girls! :-D
Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I have two feral cats and when young I kept them in a small to medium dog cage w/litter box,food and water. They already knew to use the litter box for both "jobs" and has never been a problem with any kitty I have had. I kept them in the cage so they wouldn't hide and I couldn't find them and they wouldn't be able to get use to us humans. This would solve your peeing problems and the 1st thing I would do if I had this problem and then take to a Vet. to make sure there were no medical cause.
We work all day, but, in the evenings I would take them in a room with no hiding place and sit and hold them and pet them, I did this until they got use to me and would come to me, gradually letting them loose in the room and then in the rest of house. 1 is now 14 yr.s old - other is 10 Yr.s old. They are both wild about me, still kind of scared of strangers but, not Hubby and me.

Urine in unaltered kittens have a very strong odor.
I hope you find a solution to your problems, hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 PM

The best solution for a multi-story house is at least one litterbox per FLOOR of house (basement counts as it's own floor too). This is for lazy cats that can't be bothered traveling the stairs to use the litterbox. Now, that is not to say that you will need to do this for her whole life, just for several months and try to wean her later (well after she heals from her surgery) and has some time to mature.

Now to figure out if she has a problem with the covered litterbox, type of litter, and/or location of litterbox (or a combination of the 3). Make sure the litter is NOT near her food/water (most cats take great offense if their food is in small proximity to their litter). Nobody likes to eat in an outhouse! Lastly make sure this is a safe place away from the dogs. This can be easily accomplished by placing a baby gate in the doorway to the "safe room" with her litterbox. In the event she is being followed by those slobering, pesky canines, she can swiftly leap across the gate to safety. More than likely her behavior will change in the next year and she won't require such high mantenance litter requirements.

Also, a note about Feliway . . . this product comes in 2 types of dispensing. The difusser plugs into the wall like a Glade plug-in air freshner to help keep calm and peace in the house (especially for anxious cats or adding a new cat to a family who already has cats). For more precise issues, such as inappropriate urination or furniture scratching . . . try the pump spray to the offended locations. This concentrated spray makes them think that they should be rubbing their cheeks on that specific area (say, your bed and couch) and not a place to put urine or scratch. Also, those Feliway diffusers are only good for 500-600 sq ft. So unless you got one for every room (who has that kind of money?) . . . the cheaper and more effective way to go would be the spray bottle.

Keep us updated.