Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
does anyone do this anymore? >

does anyone do this anymore?

does anyone do this anymore?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM

You can also take a garment apart and use the pieces as pattern pieces. Just be sure to write down the order you took it apart(if you are an inexperienced sewer) and remember to add seam allowances.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Gal

Chele, I can relate to this 100% my DD has one just like it, thank goodness I was not asked to make it, I couldn't really any way as she already has me making curtains for her new place, and fully lining them to boot! One good thing though I have her collecting fabrics for her first quilt so thats a bonus isn't it! She is even going to give it a try herself, she does not sew her own clothes but hey what could be better than her making her own quilt!

Gal
Old 03-19-2010, 02:09 AM

I have been sewing since I was about 10. Illinois schools also had sewing classes in Jr.High and Highschool. I make alot of my own clothes. Love to wear the scrubs around and great for bed wear also. But you can find sewing videos for even quilting on YOUTUBE as my granddaughter has recently trying to teach herself to sew, since we live over 2000 miles apart and I am unable to teach her from this distance!! Watch thefabric sales tables at Walmart and get to know the girls who work there to find out when the fabric comes on what days and you can get some really beautiful fabrics!!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by twistedsheets
I have been sewing since I was about 10. Illinois schools also had sewing classes in Jr.High and Highschool. I make alot of my own clothes. Love to wear the scrubs around and great for bed wear also. But you can find sewing videos for even quilting on YOUTUBE as my granddaughter has recently trying to teach herself to sew, since we live over 2000 miles apart and I am unable to teach her from this distance!! Watch thefabric sales tables at Walmart and get to know the girls who work there to find out when the fabric comes on what days and you can get some really beautiful fabrics!!
My middle school had a FACS class... which was really Home Economics... we made stuffed pillows/animals depending on what you wanted. Mine was a Panda Pillow, I wish I still had it! I was 15 (I was held back due to a transcript thing from the other school I was at... they never sent it) and it was pretty good for someone who had never sewn before. I had to stitch the mouth and eyes and then I had to use the sewing machine... which I had never used before... probably would have been phenomenal if I had known what proper stitch to use. But it came out pretty good. I wish I still had it!

I'm better at sewing, but I do all of by hand... when i get a machine I'll do it that way... but I'll start small so that I can learn!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I make my own Scrubs for work. The ones in the stores are very juvenile lately (I don't think a 60yr old nurse looks good in Dora the Explorer). The cost works out about the same but things fit. I used to make all my clothes; thinking about doing more. I'm tired of shopping for tops and they're the size of a tube sock and marked size large!!
i attempt to make my daughter scrubs...but that "V" neckline always gives me the biggest headache. She doesn't like them to be low, showing all that she has.
I will get it down pat... I hope!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by middysmom
does anyone make their own clothes anymore i use to but haven't done it in a long time i was just wondering if anyone does this anymore and could give me some tips thanks dorothy
Not anymore - I used to be able to just cut out a pattern and make it. But once things began to 'pooch out' and sag, fitting got to be a pain, so that's when I switched to quilting!
Old 03-19-2010, 07:10 AM

My "stock in trade"? Clothing designer/seamstress. So yes, I have made clothing for years!!! However, for too many years, making lingerie was my bread and butter, and working with such fine fabrics for too many hours kinda did a number on my hands. Now I quilt. :) I do still make pj pants for my sons...at 6'5" and 6'6" with very muscular legs, they can't even get them at the tall shops. Other than that, I sew for the grandbabies, and minimally for myself. I still have some really "good" fabric waiting to be made up for self....but I refuse to do it until I get rid of the last 15 pounds. :D

My DH made a dress for his daughter several years ago...kind of a "Little House on the Prairie" style...dress and pinafore. He had never sewn before, so quite an undertaking!!! He found a couple of the gals at Hancock fabrics very helpful. Apparently, he was back with questions every day or two!!! AND he made this on a treadle!! (This was before I met him. ;) ) So...even tho' we are all here to help as much as we can, if you can find someone local for more "hands on" help, that would be good too. Mostly....just like quilting, have fun with it!!!

Patti
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 AM

Yes, I do make a few things but mostly I quilt. In the past I've made swimsuits, laungerie (spelling is atrocious this morning), bridesmaid dresses (yes, some of them were AWUFL looking because usually bridesmaid dresses are awful!) pantsuits, blouses, tops, shirts, jackets and coats but that was in another life. I still make pajama's for our grands, flannel nighties for myself and our daughters and muscle shirts for my DH. I caught on to quilting a few years ago and decided that was where I wanted to spend my time so I mostly quilt. With the invention of home serger sewing machines, clothing construction and great fabrics available for some of the items listed above made making the items a breeze. I love my serger and use it alot.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM

Quilter 7X -- I think I beat you to it. I sent Pamela (Leggett)a copy of my note also. She is coming back in April and doing another program co-sponsored by the American Sewing Guild and Calico Gals in Syracuse and I am looking forward to it.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 AM

Texas Yankee -- You definitely should try the t-shirt makeover. My husband's t-shirt I did for myself was in the trunk of my car all winter waiting to be driven to the Salvation Army!! Her video is well worth the money also. She is so good at explaining everything.