Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing? Love it or hate it? >

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Paper piecing? Love it or hate it?

Old 04-04-2010, 11:11 AM

One of my first quilts was papaer pieced, in the Ocean waves pattern. It turned out very nice, all the points came out nice and I use it often. I did the lap size whiich went faster than if I had done a large quilt. A good learning experience for me.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Hi Millegreub! I am not sure about your question. I have never seen paper piecing patterns run into 2 pages. The block must be huge! Or are you talking about applique with the freezer paper method?
For applique, I copy both pages and then tape them together to match up the lines. The I copy it to freezer paper and also to some type of thin see through material so I can align the applique properly on my square.
For regular paper piecing, make sure your block is all on one page. When you make copies for each block Align them p and hold it to the light to make sure they are copied the same. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 PM

Regard to paper piecing on two pages. If you go to www.quilterscache.com you will see many, many pages of paper piecing. The patterns are normal 8 1/2 x ll but half is on one page and the other half is on another page. I made the pumpkin wallhanging and the two pages don't match up when I want to sew them together.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:32 PM

You are right I just printed them off one comes at a 1 inch the other t 3/4 inch don't know how to fix it sorry
Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 PM

I have a love-hate relationship with it. I like the results since they are accurate, except when I don't cut the pieces big enough!

The book I have by Carol Doak tells you how big to cut each piece individually so that it fits, but there seems to be a lot of waste.

I can't win!!!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:40 PM

I wonder if you print out the 1st page, then adjust yur printer for the second page. Or readjust it on the printer after you print? Just a thought. I bought my patterns from a quilting book so have not have that experience. So sorry as I hope not to sound flippant
Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac
I have a love-hate relationship with it. I like the results since they are accurate, except when I don't cut the pieces big enough!

The book I have by Carol Doak tells you how big to cut each piece individually so that it fits, but there seems to be a lot of waste.

I can't win!!!
I had a lot of wasted-fabric chagrin as well with the traditional sew through the paper method.
With freezer paper piecing I found I only need to cut 1/2'' seam allowance and it always fits. A bit of waste (as compared to 1/4'' when not using PP), but I can live with that.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:24 PM

I use the paper templates that can be reused. If you take basting stitches to attach your fabric, then you can easily take the template out by cutting the basting threads after you attach to the block of PPs.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 PM

I love paper piecing. Using a very small stitch help when tearing off paper. I use any type of paper available. I love the accuracy that comes with pp.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by shrabar
I went to the site you mentioned little confusing for a new quilter, Could you please send me the sizes of a twin, full, queen & king quilt & what is the difference between paper piecing & paper foundation. Thank You HappyEaster
I don't have the different quilt size measurements but the definition of paper piecing and paper foundation is:
paper piecing is a technique or method whereby you sew fabric pieces onto a paper pattern and paper foundation refers to using a paper pattern as a foundation for your fabric block. They really are the same, just different ways to describe the technique. Clear as mud, right :?: