Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! >

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
Originally Posted by Bev
I thought I was bad, but I can see I'm a rank amateur.
I moved from our very small office/computer room into the bedroom left vacant when my granddaughter went off to college. I thought it would be perfect. There was a double door closet, three blank walls, and a decent size window. But I have filled it up already and am bursting at the seams. How did I ever manage with the smaller room? However we will be downsizing into a smaller house as soon as my husband retires in January. My DH tells me that I have way too much stuff for "just a simple hobby" like quilt making. So, I've been warned that a lot of it will have to go. We will not have the extra bedroom/quilting room. I can't even imagine how I can get rid of as many of my things as he says I'll have to. What I'm thinking of is leading him by the nose to a house (hopefully I'll find the right one) that has a Florida Room, or enclosed porch. Then I'll convince him that we don't need a room like that for the purpose it was meant for, and I will, quick as a bunny, swoop in with all my quilting stuff and get it set up before he knows what hit him. When it's a done deal it will be too much work to change it. I may end up better off because it'll have more windows which means better natural light. What do y'all think? Is this a possibility?
Sounds like a plan!

Why do they try to change us? I dont know about anyone else - but I think I am getting the idea we are all passionate about our sewing! Why do they want to take this away from us? Why? WHY?!!!!!
It's simple, JEALOUSY! Some hubbys are jealous of the time we spend on our "simple hobby," others are jealous that we have something wonderful that they don't. My DH for instance, doesn't have a single hobby! He has just been a workaholic all his life. What's he going to do with all his time when he's retired? Lord help me!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by franie
Scraps multiply at night when the house is silent! LOL
Oh Franie, I wondered how that happened! I think you are quite right.

:lol:
yes, it does happen at night.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM

when my DD got married and moved out we turned her room into a computer/guest room. when my DS moved out I inherited a quilting room, small but sunny (3 windows). Now if I could get my DH to move out I could get a long arm. but that wouldn't work because I need his technical help with the machine. Maybe we can give up the kitchen too! ;-)
Old 04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Bev

Who needs one, there's always take-out! 8-)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
I moved from our very small office/computer room into the bedroom left vacant when my granddaughter went off to college. I thought it would be perfect. There was a double door closet, three blank walls, and a decent size window. But I have filled it up already and am bursting at the seams. How did I ever manage with the smaller room? However we will be downsizing into a smaller house as soon as my husband retires in January. My DH tells me that I have way too much stuff for "just a simple hobby" like quilt making. So, I've been warned that a lot of it will have to go. We will not have the extra bedroom/quilting room. I can't even imagine how I can get rid of as many of my things as he says I'll have to. What I'm thinking of is leading him by the nose to a house (hopefully I'll find the right one) that has a Florida Room, or enclosed porch. Then I'll convince him that we don't need a room like that for the purpose it was meant for, and I will, quick as a bunny, swoop in with all my quilting stuff and get it set up before he knows what hit him. When it's a done deal it will be too much work to change it. I may end up better off because it'll have more windows which means better natural light. What do y'all think? Is this a possibility?
You just tell him that having a room for your quilting is not negotiable. Downsizing does not mean having so little space that you can't enjoy life - it just means eliminating the excess space. Your sewing space is not excess! :D
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM

You all have given me such excellent ideas!! Thinking about moving out the dining room table and moving in a long arm :lol: :lol:
Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Bev

I'll try that. Let's see how far it gets me. Stay tuned, we'll know in a few months. 8-)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Bev

Quote ...
You just tell him that having a room for your quilting is not negotiable. Downsizing does not mean having so little space that you can't enjoy life - it just means eliminating the excess space. Your sewing space is not excess!

I'll try that. Let's see how far it gets me. Stay tuned, we'll know in a few months. 8-)
Old 04-27-2010, 03:38 PM

All spring, summer and fall I sew upstairs but in the winter time we don't heat the upstairs anymore than just enough to keep the pipes from freezing. If I want to sew I have to bring it all down to the dining room---it makes a huge mess right in the middle of our house but we deal with it.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Originally Posted by Bev
You just tell him that having a room for your quilting is not negotiable. Downsizing does not mean having so little space that you can't enjoy life - it just means eliminating the excess space. Your sewing space is not excess! :D
I so totally agree with you IrishNY! If what is important to you is not given respect, then YOU are not being given respect and you have every reason and right to DEMAND it. Ever so nicely of course, with consideration for his concerns too. But still, your wants and needs are just as important as anyone else's and should NOT be negotiable.