Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
None existent British quilting >

None existent British quilting

None existent British quilting

Old 05-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by bev195000
As i live in the rural area of England there are no quilting classes or quilt groups nothing so i am totally alone in my quilting which makes me kinda sad in a way
Welcome from Maksi. Glad you've joined this board!

There is a shop in Staffordshire and they also give classes and workshops. There is also a guild in your area. This is the link of the store. http://www.abakhan.co.uk/

There a 2 more stores with classes or workshops in the area were you live but I didn't get eny revieuws of them.

http://angiequilts.blogspot.com/2010...ilt-class.html also a quiltclass in staffordshire/uk she has a nice blog too!

Take care.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM

I've found some more for you/

The British Quilters Guild is also in Staffordshire.
Region 11
Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire, West Midlands
http://www.quiltersguild.org.uk/inde...=109&region=11

FIND A GROUP - LIST
Find a Group > Staffordshire
No. * Group Name Town/City Details
1 Mad Cat Quilters WOLVERHAMPTON [More...]
2 Staffordshire Patchworkers & Quilters STONE [More...]
3 Wombourne Quilters NR WOLVERHAMPTON [More...]
And here is the link of this:http://www.quiltersdomain.co.uk/findList.asp?t=1&c=63

North Staffordshire Guild of Craftsmen
http://www.craftscouncil.org.uk/craf...ef=3035&page=3

sorry wrong link this one is bette"r: http://www.nsgc.co.uk/index.html

* indicates sorted column
Old 05-07-2010, 02:03 PM

I went down to Trentham Gardens to a quilt show a couple of weeks ago (that is pretty close to you I think) I put a few photos on here if you want to have a look!

If there's another one in the future perhaps we could meet up for a cup of tea?

Karen xx
Old 05-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Hi Bev,

I go to the NEC alone.... but I an never lonley! Quilters are a kind, happy and chatty breed that will talk to all around. The NEC is wonderful and you really will enjoy every minute. Also the display of quilts is awe inspiring, feeds the imagination and revitalises your quilting instincts!

Hugs

Caroline
Old 05-07-2010, 03:53 PM

quilting may not be big, but I know embroidery is. there are several guilds. A friend who is no longer around was very activite in the embroidery guild and went all over England giving lectures and demonstrations to various groups. Searching out an embroidery guild may lead you to people who are also interested in quilting.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:52 PM

Look for a local LDS church. I'll bet you there's a group of quilters there. Many Mormon ladies are great quilters. You've got a super bunch of quilters here, too, who are all there for you, so you aren't alone, even in rural England. You're as close as the keyboard.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Bev

[quote=bev195000]I live in the UK and i simply love my quilting i did visit NY USA quiet a lot and during this period some one taught me the basic quilting skills and from then on i am quilt mad but over here England people do not seem interesting in quilting ...

Here in the U.S. we used to believe that patchwork quiltmaking was a craft that was created by us. But now we've learned that actually some of the pilgrim ladies brought over handmade quilts when they came. I think you'd find a history of quiltmaking right there where you live. Maybe all the women just aren't as interested in it as you are, but I'll bet you can find a few. Enough to make a tiny quilting bee. Why don't yuou try running a small classified notice in your local newspaper. Even if your paper is a very small press and is only published once a week, try it. You could say something like, "Local lady enjoys learning the art of quiltmaking. Anyone care to join her for pleasant times and shared lessons?" You might be happily surprised. 8-)
Old 05-07-2010, 08:06 PM

u need to open quilting store, no competion, start new trend.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Welcome Bev. We would enjoy seeing some of your work, completed or not. I enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:28 AM

I was in England in 2008 and was amazed at how few quilting or even fabric stores there were. I don't know why that is so, but you're right, Bev. I was surprised because I too thought quilting was invented in England. Think of all those gowns the ladies of Elizabethan times wore.
I did eventually find one in Suffolk: Quilters Haven in High Street, Suffolk. I bought a kit there made by makower uk, in Oxfordshire. www.makoweruk.com. (Haven't started it yet).
Things are not a lot better here but just a bit, I'd say.
Hang in there. There's lots of friends to be found on the Board.