Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies? >

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:07 PM

get yourselfa BallBlue Book. That is my Bible for canning. You cana't go wrong if you follow it.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ktyree
I love to can and freeze, and make jelly. I just bought a bushel of windfalls for applesauce and jelly, need to get more jars because I'm running out now. Did dilly beans, sweet cauliflower pickles, pickled peppers, green beans, tomatoes, and plenty of raspberry and blackberry jam. I just got a dehydrator- would like to try drying some apples for pies in winter.
There is a recipe for bottled apple pie filling, ready to dump into the crust. Want it?
Old 09-26-2010, 06:53 PM

YES, I would like the recipe for the apple pie filling. Have canned many years.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by JJane
YES, I would like the recipe for the apple pie filling. Have canned many years.
CANNED APPLE PIE FILLING
4 1/2 C. sugar
1 cup cornstarch
8 cups water
2 Tbl cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 Tbl lemon juice
26 cups raw sliced apples

Bring all ingredients except apples to boil in large pan. Add apples. Bring back to boil, then Spoon into hot, clean quart canning jars. Process by either hot water bath for 25 minutes (timing after water returns to boil), or place in pressure cooker, at 7 1/2 pounds; when pressure gets to 7 1/2 lbs, turn off heat under cooker and let it return to room temp with heat off. Makes 6 quarts of pie filling. Ready to put in prepared crust.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:37 PM

I'm not in love with cooking, but I love canning. I use a lot of canned goods for Christmas gifts. We grow olallieberries (like blackberries) and tomatoes. We make jam with the berries and sometimes pick wild blackberries for jam. Then from the tomatoes, we make salsa. Sometimes we have to freeze the fresh items until we get time to can them. We also make break and butter pickles. We buy the cucumbers from our local farmers' market and work on them the same or next day.
Our church has a "Creative Showcase" in Nov. It is set up after church and anyone in the church can sell items, So, we have sold our pickles there. Others sell slices of pie or a pie you can take home and freeze. Others make knitted scarves and hats. Most of the items are suitable for Christmas gifts. You can rent a table for $10.00 and keep your profits. You can get a free space/table and give a percentage of the profits to the church. Some get a free space and give all their take to the church. It all goes to one of our charitable ministries. It is a lot of fun and the prices are usually good. Our pastor is well known for his chili sauce.
Verna in So Cal
Old 09-26-2010, 10:38 PM

OOPS We make Bread and Butter pickles not Break and Butter pickles. Sorry
Verna
Old 09-26-2010, 10:57 PM

Nope, don't do any canning. Too many other fun things to do. For me these are things you can purchase at a grocery store.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:35 PM

I don't can, but I do Dehydrate veggies and make my own soup mixes with it. I have no storage for home canned items, although I remember fondly opening the plums my grandmother canned. She served them almost daily, with homemade bread, toasted. Yummmmm!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I don't can, but I do Dehydrate veggies and make my own soup mixes with it. I have no storage for home canned items, although I remember fondly opening the plums my grandmother canned. She served them almost daily, with homemade bread, toasted. Yummmmm!
After you dehydrate your veggies, how do you store them? We have a very expensive dehydrater I need to use more often. I dried bell peppers, but not long enough bc they moldy.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:12 AM

If things mold, they haven't been dried long enough. I store my dehydrated onions on the cabinet shelf. They keep for a year that way. That's the only thing I dehydrate, as onions don't keep very long. I can use them in soups, casseroles, etc. this way.