Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Inset seams and MANY points to match..WooHoo >

Inset seams and MANY points to match..WooHoo

Inset seams and MANY points to match..WooHoo

Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM

You could have saved a lot of time and made this block without inset seams by adopting the technique for the Hunter's Star that was shared on this Board last summer. It could have been easily done by just tweaking the technique a wee bit. And it's done with strip piecing and the Companion Angle ruler. No templates, no 'Y' or inset seams.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50608-1.htm

I am using this technique and it's terrific. I think I might make the strips a little bigger than 1.5 inches, maybe 1.75.
Originally Posted by candi
I fell in love with this pattern and just had to buy the book to make it. Little did I know how challenging this was going to be for me! After I bought all my fabrics and started cutting, I realized that I need to learn inset seams to be able to do this. I didn't want to abandon the project, so I stuck to it and after spending 4.5 hours (gasp) constructing the first block, I figured it out.The other blocks took me a little less than an hour :mrgreen: to construct each.

I used fusible batting for the first time, and liked it, except for the fact that I had to quilt it a lot more than what I am used it, it worked well for this particular quilt, since I did some cross hatching that was about 2'' apart.

The original pattern is Star Bouquet from Kaffe Fassett book, Country Garden Quilts (http://www.amazon.com/Kaffe-Fassetts...dp/1600850480- cover page) and uses 10+fabrics. I only used five fabrics and made it into a wall hanging about 49'' square. Changed the border a bit to fit size. Considering all the points I had to match, I am glad that I conquered most, even if some got away...
:-P

Hubby and I love it!

Edited to add: I don't know about the colors in the pictures..real quilt is more vivid.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Love it...and the colors are amazing!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 AM

WOW LOVE THE PATTERN & THE COLORS :)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Hi Candi,
Good 4 u, u stuck to it and didn't give. I don't know about me, if it took u 4 hours to figure out the first block and 1 hour to do the rest, it will surely take me all day and maybe more for the first block and half day for the rest. I think I'll just admire yours for right now. I just started on the hobby and finding this so challenging. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM

Hi Candi, That wallhanging is so beautiful. I just finished a queen
quilt for my bedroom (Red Rooster fabrics) It included many of the colors in yours. Hope I can find the pattern and make it to accompany my quilt.

GREAT GREAT WORK.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 AM

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL JOB AND I LOVE THE COLORS. I JUST FINISHED A QUEEN QUILT USING MANY OF THE SAME COLORS.
HOPE I CAN FIND THIS PATTERN TO MAKE IT TO GO WITH MY QUILT.

THANKS FOR SHARING AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

DORRIE
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM

What did a great job. I love the pattern and colors.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

OMG, when I saw it all I could say was WOW......WOW.....it is awesome. You should be very proud.....
Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM

Fantastic job. Looks great! Looks really intimidating, matching all those points and set in seams. You did a fabo job!!

are you home yet, it's October, so your temporary assignment is finished?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Delilah
You could have saved a lot of time and made this block without inset seams by adopting the technique for the Hunter's Star that was shared on this Board last summer. It could have been easily done by just tweaking the technique a wee bit. And it's done with strip piecing and the Companion Angle ruler. No templates, no 'Y' or inset seams.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50608-1.htm

I am using this technique and it's terrific. I think I might make the strips a little bigger than 1.5 inches, maybe 1.75.
Thank you for posting this link, I somehow have missed that tutorial.