Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I could cry right now. >
  • I could cry right now.

• I could cry right now.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:11 PM

Try blocking it - like we do with show quilts. Rewet well in washer, and then lay it out on the floor. Using a square in each corner, put a lot of pins in holding each corner flat and square. Pull and push to straighten out and increase size as much as possible - holding with pins into carpet. Let it dry. If necessary, touch up with an iron.

This blocking will make the quilt look so much better, and bring back a portion of it's size. It really does help.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. It must have been the batting. I can feel your disappointment from here :(

I sure hope the blocking helps...a lot!
    Debbie in Austin
    Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Get a big spray bottle, fill it with water. Spray the quilt with water and then stretch and iron with a warm iron. It may help to get it stretched back out.

I never never would use unknown content batting on a quilt for someone special. I would use that with a tiny practice quilt and wash it first if I wanted to use it. Be sure you tell her that she should not dry it in a dryer when you give it to her. I've copied the "quilt care" label and attach the quilts I give now. My family really didn't know how to care for them after I gave them quilts, so it's much better than to hear your quilt sparated...

Hope it works out for you, I just spent 3 days last week unquilting one because I didn't like the way it looked when I finished it. Sometimes we learn the hard way, don't we?

Hugs,
    Sharon
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM

I don't think it looks bad at all!!! You saw it before (for months!) and I'm sure any difference would have been a shock, but she doesn't have such pre-conceived notions. I honestly don't see a problem with giving such a nice gift, with no apologies.
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:56 PM

I had a similar experience. It was my son and his wife's double wedding ring star quilt. I forgot that the quilter used wool batting in it and when it was washed it got a crinkled look. The kids loved it because they knew how much love I put into making quilts - I'm sure your recipient will love yours too no matter what. I'd tell her the truth about the crinkle look.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:25 PM

I think it is very pretty and would give it to her with love.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    You know I don't know if I've ever seen a picture posted here of a finished quilt that has been washed before. Has anyone else?

As someone asked before, how is your mother in law going to use the quilt? Any way she uses it I'm sure she'll appreciate the fact that you took so much time and effort to make something *from your Heart*. Hopefully the MOM in her will come out when she opens the gift and she'll appreciate it like a mom appreciates anything a child gives her that's handmade. KWIM?

Lots of other Great Suggestions all worth trying to make you feel better in giving it.
    Many of the quilts I post here have been washed.
    Mine are too.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM

I would just wash again in luke warm water, gentle cycle, and lay it flat
    to dry, stretching it as much as you can! It doesn't look too bad right now,
    but you might feel better. Then when you give it as a gift remind her
    how to launder, etc.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 PM

I haven't made a great number of quilts myself, but my family has a number of quilts that my grandmother had and they are ALL very puckered. It is the sign of an antique quilt that has been washed and used and washed and used through the years. It is a beautiful look. Your MIL will love the quilt.
    Old 11-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
    I haven't made a great number of quilts myself, but my family has a number of quilts that my grandmother had and they are ALL very puckered. It is the sign of an antique quilt that has been washed and used and washed and used through the years. It is a beautiful look. Your MIL will love the quilt.
    that's why I don't prewash fabric, I love the antique look of wrinkled/crinkled.
    Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 PM

Sweetie...Just give it to her!!! Be happy you have a MIL to give something too. I am sure she will just love it. I wish I still had my MIL around to give stuff too. She always loved everything I made for her no matter how crooked, wonky, or otherwise. And I agree....after you give it to her give her a copy of the posts here and she will be proud that you cared enough about what she thought that you went through all this stress for her!!!