Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
washing fabric >

washing fabric

washing fabric

Old 11-18-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by gale
I agree. I was just wondering if there were any reports yet. I noticed that for a while, the bed bugs were in the news and now you never hear about them but I am sure the problem is not any different than it was before. I guess it was the crisis of the moment for the news and other, more interesting stories, took over.

I have just been inspecting fabric and if I'm not sure, I freeze it for 2 weeks. lol. In a big plastic bag, of course. I don't want the bugs in my freezer either.
we still see it in the news. was one on today. mostly on the east coast right now. but I am not waiting for them to show up over here. nasty little things and now there aren't too many things to use to kill the buggers. smile.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:53 AM

I haven't seen them on the news in weeks. I still think about them though. Went to the library today and hesitated to sit on the upholstered chairs. lol
Old 11-18-2010, 01:44 AM

I always wash my fabrics as soon as possible, I have allergies
and washing the fabrics gets all the smells out of it. Its ready to use when I'm making a quilt. I use a bit of laundry
detergent in a short wash cycle and dry in the dryer.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 AM

I try to always wash it (with detergent) when I buy it and dry it in the dryer, iron it with "Best Press", because I like the crisp feeling and it is easier to cut and sew. Also if it is a fabric with strong colors or batiks I also add Retayne into the washing machine so the colors stay and won't run. Don't put softener or dryer sheets to the fabric!!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 AM

I always wash my fabric when I come through the door from shopping. Throw into washer, add a little soap (I use baby wash/delicate fabric soap) and THEN unload the car! No dryer for me as I find if it overdries I can't ever get the wrinkles out.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by karate lady
Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
when you wash fabric before a project do you actually wash it with laundry soap? Or do you just get it wet and dry it with the dryer so it will shrink?
Do you all wash your fabrics when you get it home so its ready to use when you need it?
I have been dabbling with the quilting and am not washing my fabrics. but figured when I start a serious project Id better get the facts! thanks JoAnn
ps Im sure Im going to have ALOT of silly questions for you all as I dont have anyone else to ask.
I didn't wash it right away whenI first started (last year), but now with the bed bug infestations, I was anything made of fabric and dry it for 30 min. I don't mind the ironing because the material looks so nice when it is done.
The ironing part is my fave job..............I get to pet and fondle the new fabric to my heart's content!
Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM

I always wash fabric first. Sewing instructors used to tell us that it straightened the grain as the fabric was damp when wound on the bolt. I prefer to iron it before storage as recently washed fabric seems to iron easier and better.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Banned

ALWAYS wash q/tops by hand in liquid washing powder, rinse thoroughly and lightly spin drying flat.
Have had DREADFUL problems with reds-----they tend to run badly.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mayday
ALWAYS wash q/tops by hand in liquid washing powder, rinse thoroughly and lightly spin drying flat.
Have had DREADFUL problems with reds-----they tend to run badly.
If you wash your fabrics before cutting them - you would find out if you had a bleeder before you used it.

If I had to wash a quilt top - and the only time that would be if something undesirable had gotten on it - that's how I would do it -

Do you usually wash a quilt top before it's quilted?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

The quilters I worked with did not wash their material. I was wondering that myself.