$200 to "service" my sewing machine! >

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

$200 to "service" my sewing machine!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 AM

In De, that seems pretty reasonable.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
Originally Posted by joan_quilts
Ok, I have a Husqvarna Quilt Desinger I. It wasn't working quite right last week, so I took it to a sewing machine dealer/fabric store.

They did have to replace a few parts, that was $73. Ok, I didn't know I had a problem with those parts, but hey, they are liscensed to work on these machines.

I got the bill yesterday when I picked up my machine, and it was $200 just to "service" it! That means the yearly cleaning! The receipt said clean and labor, oiling internal parts and checking the belts.

I think that is way too much! It took them less than a day to have it ready for me to pick up. If I would have known it was going to cost $200 for the servicing, I would have never taken it to be fixed.

I am over reacting or does this seem kind of a high price to you? Thanks for any replies. I just needed to vent.
My husband thinks one should ALWAYS know ahead of time what the price will be "out the door". I'm assuming they called to tell you what parts needed to be replace and you approved that. Understandable.. I DO think it is a high price for "cleaning, oiling and checking belts". I would definitely speak to the manager or tech who did the work and let them know, nicely, that you think this was unreasonable and can they explain it to you so you can feel better about this expenditure. Otherwise, you will have a bad taste in your mouth about this shop. Small businesses should know this and take care of customers. Sorry this happened to you. I've had similar experiences and wish I had taken my own advice.
Well, when I take my machines in, if there is anything other than what I sent it in for, my dealer always calls me with the charge and asks if I still want the work done. I have met the repairperson (a lady) and she knows her stuff. She says she has worked on many kinds of machines and Husqvarna Vikings are by far the best in the market. I will trust her with my machines any day and am very willing to pay what it costs to get the work done. Maybe you people should think about getting the extended warranties for your machines. My Diamond came with it because I bought the floor model. It needed a new circuit board (or whatever it's called) a few months after I bought it. Didn't cost me a cent for that. I understand these are things that can happen to any machine with a computer in it.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
Ok, I just have to chime in here. I was a hairdresser for 33 years and now I am working with my husband in his snowmobile repair business. Having told you that - I now have to stand up for small business owners. Like someone else said, you are paying for what they know.
Do you have the time and know how to fix your machine?
Do you have the parts in stock?
Do you have to pay the insurance on the building and liabiliy insurance in case someone should slip and fall(God forbid)?
When you take a machine in for repair, any kind of machine, yes, they give you a rough estimate, but if it is within a resonable amount over, they fix it. Do you know how long it takes to try and get hold of someone to get the OK to go ahead and fix something? Many times, it could be fixed and ready to go while waiting on a return call from the owner. Then they say, go ahead and fix it...A major waste of time. What I have learned to do is to ask what the top dollar for repairs is that they are willing to pay. Many times it is way under that, sometimes a little over.
I guess I should stop now, I feel like I'm on a soap box and should get off.
But, just remember that us small business owners don't get the big breaks that big corps do. We don't get the big discounts when ordering parts because we can only order what we think we will need.
Sorry if I am going on and on about this, but we all need to be informed shoppers. I don't mean to upset anyone and I hoped I didn't.
Amen! Well said!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Well a yearly cleaning and check up usually runs 125.00--the other work all for 200.00 seems ok to me,
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM

Well a yearly cleaning and check up usually runs 125.00--the other work all for 200.00 seems ok to me,
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM

I think the labor cost at my LQS is around $80/hour, which I was prepared to pay when I took it in for the first service after purchase (used machine). I was very pleasantly surprised to pay less than $40 at pickup as she charged only for the time she spent on the machine - I had finished the "get to know your machine" class the morning I dropped it off so the inside was VERY clean.

Cheers, K
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM

I just had my Janome serviced and thought $80 was a high price. Since they serviced it I've had nothing but problems with the machine, ugh. Can't afford a new machine nor to have it serviced again.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
Ok, I just have to chime in here. I was a hairdresser for 33 years and now I am working with my husband in his snowmobile repair business. Having told you that - I now have to stand up for small business owners. Like someone else said, you are paying for what they know.
Do you have the time and know how to fix your machine?
Do you have the parts in stock?
Do you have to pay the insurance on the building and liabiliy insurance in case someone should slip and fall(God forbid)?
When you take a machine in for repair, any kind of machine, yes, they give you a rough estimate, but if it is within a resonable amount over, they fix it. Do you know how long it takes to try and get hold of someone to get the OK to go ahead and fix something? Many times, it could be fixed and ready to go while waiting on a return call from the owner. Then they say, go ahead and fix it...A major waste of time. What I have learned to do is to ask what the top dollar for repairs is that they are willing to pay. Many times it is way under that, sometimes a little over.
I guess I should stop now, I feel like I'm on a soap box and should get off.
But, just remember that us small business owners don't get the big breaks that big corps do. We don't get the big discounts when ordering parts because we can only order what we think we will need.
Sorry if I am going on and on about this, but we all need to be informed shoppers. I don't mean to upset anyone and I hoped I didn't.
Your points are well stated and taken. However, not ALL repair people are honest and not all are willing to discuss the workmanship done. I'd bring my machine to your shop bec you sound honest and seem to have a handle on what's going on. The pitfalls for small business are many but customer relations goes a long way when dealing with the public.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:33 AM

I think that it's way too high. Most of the places in our area charge $80 to $90 for a cleaning. My LQS has a "Janome" Club. It's $50.00 a year and I can have my machine cleaned as often as I want, for no cost.
In addition there is no labor charge for fixing it, just parts. I had my needle threader replaced for $1.95.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
QKO

I think it depends on where you are and what the average cost of living is in the area.

After all, the same quality hotel room will cost you $75/night in Boise Idaho, and $275/night in San Francisco.