Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How Long Do You Keep Your Christmas Tree Up >
  • How Long Do You Keep Your Christmas Tree Up

• How Long Do You Keep Your Christmas Tree Up

Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
    Power Poster

till i get tired of it, we celebrate Hannamas ( hannauka and Christmas)
    white tree with aqua, put it up on thanksgiving due to han. being early this year. got tired of it on the 2nd, and took it down then
    Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    Originally Posted by shequilts
    If my tree were a body, it'd still be warm when I throw it out! It depresses me when all the gifts are gone!
    You and me both!!!
    Me too. I take it down about 10 minutes after we open the few presents. Well actually this year we had one of those year-round trees, the skinny ones. It serves all holidays. Take off the Christmas decor, put up the valentines, take those down put up the shamrocks, and on and on. Everything else came down right after the buffet because a blizzard was expected and we'd never get the 8 wreaths off the windows.
    Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Well, we have an artificial tree (just wanted that up front ... it is not a real tree as we have allergies) and ours has been up since December 1, 2009 (yes, seriously). That was our son's senior year in high school and he just couldn't stand to have it come down ... so it was a Valentines tree (got after Christmas red and white ornaments with hearts at IKEA), then an Easter tree with plastic eggs and a dollar store bunny on the top, then a graduation tree with a cap on the top and little metallic caps on the tree (and a few 2010's as well), then an "H" tree (I made "H"s out of blue and white foam stuff and hung on the tree as our son is going to Hamilton College ... then it was Halloween and now, Christmas again. We are going to take it down finally after our son goes back to college on January 14!! I know that is long, but it was a great way of counting down until he went off to school .... don't think badly of me!!!
    Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM

For the first time I didn't put up any decorations as not well enough to get up in the attic. But I did make a feature of the cards we received - stickytacked onto the hall door, and the wooden pelmets in the living room and they will come down tomorrow the 6th. I'll check all the names, decide which cards become the next years gift tags and recycle the rest. It was one less thing to worry about and my husband is quite happy if this becomes the new norm for us - he's never liked Christmas decorations.
    Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM

I took my tree down Christmas day. We had Christmas at my sons' house this year, so there were never any gifts under it anyway. I'm going to give it away next year.
    I'm not a scrooge; but I put it up alone, take it down alone, and am the only one who has ever turned it on to see the lights.
    Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Mine came down on 12/26...for some reason right through 12/25 it is the "gorgeous, lighted tree signifying the season".

Next day it becomes "that dead bush taking up space in my living room has got to go!" :-D

Tanesha
    Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM

I like your idea. decorations for every season! I have lots of Fall/ Thanksgiving things. I'll make some wall hangings, table toppers, etc ffor the other seasons. School teachers always decorate there rooms

I've seen Easter trees, but I couldn't go that far. But it's a thought.

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
    The Feast of the Epiphany (Three Kings) is the "official" last day of Christmas, so it will stay up at least until then.

But, everything turns so dreary and beige when all the Christmas decorations come down, so it may stay up until the end of the month, this year. I am only a little embarrassed to say that my record is Easter... ;)

Maybe I should make a lot of Valentine's Day decorations to take the place of all the Christmas stuff. And Easter ones to replace those. Or maybe I should paint my house with something other than ivory and beige!!!!! :mrgreen:
    Old 01-05-2011, 04:40 PM

We never take our tree down until after Epithany - the second Sunday after Christmas.
    Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

Ours is still up, cause I was sick over xmas & haven't got around to it yet. May start tomorrow, but take it slow, as my back has been hurting, so not going to rush it. Didn't put it up till the week before, so that's okay, I'm not tired of it yet... It goes back in the box till next year, so no rush...
    Old 01-05-2011, 05:01 PM

I like keeping at least some Christmas decs up until Epiphany, too. Our tree was a real one, so it got too dry to last quite that long.