Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your earliest quilt memory? >

What is your earliest quilt memory?

What is your earliest quilt memory?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM

when I went to my DH's grannie's, and (winter) told us to get into bed and she would cover us up. Thought this was funny, but we did, and we didn't move all night. The quilt weighed 9 to 12 lbs. Made out of old coats and suits.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM

My Grandmother making a Sunbonnet Sue
Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 PM

DITTO
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Love these stories!! I have no memories b/c nobody in my family quilted!! I'm still the only one!! :D
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM

I can remember sitting on my grandmothers bed with my cousin and we would play a game. Who ever could guess where the material fom a particular quilt came from, either it was an aunts dress, apron, or one of our grandfatheres shirts, would be the winner. My grandmother save all the old clothes and made quilts from them. I try to put a little something in all my quilts, even if its only one small squre of fabric.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:59 PM

I cannot recall a time when there were pretty quilts around. Funny story about one, though. When I was about 4-5 I sometimes had bad dreams; when I'd awaken, I'd go across the hallway to my brother's room ( 6 years older than I and my hero)and get into bed with him. He kept me safe ! One night I went in there and woke him and told him there were snakes all over the bed; (think I was born with a snake phobia)--I was sobbing, practically hysterical; he yelled loud enough to bring our Mom from downstairs.. who turned on the lights...revealing that the snakes were the black handles appliqued to a pieced baskets on his quilt. You know, I cannot recall ever seeing that quilt again; I'll have to ask Mom what happened to it.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:01 PM

oh no...mistake typing this sentence : I cannot recall a time when there were NOT pretty quilts around
Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 PM

I remember watching my grandmother (nanny, as we called her) making what she called "Dutch boy" and "Dutch girl" quilts, which were more like our Sunbonnets of today.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 PM

Watching Granny piecing quilts on her Singer treadle machine when I would visit during summer school vacation. I was probably 7 cause I remember watching the news about President Kennedy's assination at my aunt's house - Granny did't own a tv. Mama has Granny's machine with the original bill of sale. I don't remember the date probably in the late 30's or early 40's.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:33 PM

I don't know if it was my first memory,I have so many wonderful early memories of quilt-making with my grandma and her sisters and her neighbrs on the front porch.I remember being nervous and my granny put 1 arm around me, Her sister put her arm around me and they told me not to worry.If I made a mistake no problem.They started telling me about their first quilts and the others joined in with their first quilt stories.My nerves went away and I had done an entire row with only 3 mistakes and stuck myself 4 times.Granny told me that was good for a first time,and the more I did it the better I would get.They all told me the golden rule of quilting was to relax and enjoy quilting.That's what I have been doing all these years and will continue to do.You see,Granny and her relatives and friends taught me basics and the true meaning of quilting.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 PM

My Grandmother (Dad's Mom) gave me a feather filled quilt after I got married in l970 or around that. She had worked in a pajamma factory and made a slip cover for it. Her mother had made the original quilt and it was tied. I covered the quilt with the satin slip cover and only used it a few times. Can't keep it on the bed.LOL Feathers crept out of it and I had patched a few small holes in it. When we are very very cold and can't get warm a few minutes under this quilt will warm you up in a hurry!!