Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your earliest quilt memory? >

What is your earliest quilt memory?

What is your earliest quilt memory?

Old 01-10-2011, 05:41 PM

My mom came from a big family, there were 17 children. When the family got together the women would quilt and cook and the men would finish whatever work there was then play cards. The kids would play under the quilt in the frame and listen to the stories from the women as they worked,and thread the needles. The babies were layed on a bed kept warm by my grandma's quilts. In the summer we had enough people for 2 baseball teams. Then after dinner the ones lucky enough to have the gift would play musical instuments, the rest of us came up with song titles and we all sang. Now there's just my youngest brother and I and neither one of us can play an instrument. I'm glad I can quilt so I can pass that much of the legacy on to the babies.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Since I grew up on a farm with no central heat, the first I remember was when I was 6 years old.
The quilts were very heavy and warm. Still have 2 of them and I believe they are made from mens shirting. the quilting work is great probably done in the 1920's. Have several quilts done by a great aunt 2 in Bears Paw Pattern. One was a wedding gift 45 years ago. Love to hang them from my loft so we can really appreciate the work and the beauty of the quilters
Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 PM

My parents both sewed my dresses when I was a child, and my grandmother made me doll quilts from the scraps. I can still tell you what came from what....ANd she made me a Sunbonnet Sue on muslin, which she never finished. I still have it and wanted to cut one of the Sue's out and put on the back of quilts for my grandchildren. Too bad they are not interested in quilts....The granddaughters did get my doll quilts and they have strict instructions that those are to be passed to all the girls in the family.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:51 PM

My momma and the ladies at Wheatland Methodist Church quilted every Wed. from 9am to 230 pm .... I was 4 years old and I remember sitting under the quilt frame watching their fingers as they ran the needles through the fabric...I played with my dolls as they sewed and talked ... sometimes I fell asleep on the floor and woke up to my momma and the ladies talking softly and laughing.... it was so much fun and the quilts were so beautiful.... the best part is 3 years ago I went back to Wheatland and there are pictures of the ladies of the quilting circle on the walls in the Sunday school rooms with 2 quilt frames and quilts on them ....I loved it brought back all kinds of memories
Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM

My grandmother always kept a quilt frame with quilt in her very large dining room. It pulled up to the ceiling to get it out of the way. She had a large family and the girls would help her quilt. I remember the quilts being so heavy that you could not turn over when you slept under them. Oh,fond memories.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM

When I was old enough to hold a pair of scissors I would spend the night with my Grandma and she would give me a cardboard templete in the shape of a diamond. She would peice by hand and I would cut. Then go to sleep in her big feather bed. Oh what good times we had.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
My parents both sewed my dresses when I was a child, and my grandmother made me doll quilts from the scraps. I can still tell you what came from what....ANd she made me a Sunbonnet Sue on muslin, which she never finished. I still have it and wanted to cut one of the Sue's out and put on the back of quilts for my grandchildren. Too bad they are not interested in quilts....The granddaughters did get my doll quilts and they have strict instructions that those are to be passed to all the girls in the family.
One of my daughters is fantastic with crocheting.She can do it without even looking at her hands. The other daughter laughs and says she passed the creative gene on to her children. But she is an amazing cook. She comes down to help me in my shop and makes sure my coffee pot stays full and cooks my dinner.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
When I was a kid the only time grannie brought out the quilts was when a bunch of grand kids spent the night. we would all pile up on the living room floor with grannies quilts, most were polyester tops and simple patterns. I used to wonder how many pair of pants it took to make each one...LOL
To funny :P :-P
Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM

My very first quilt...1983...a 15 block sampler.... all together with 9 blocks, hand quilted and is now rolled up stored in a canvas bag....

Daughter saw it a few months ago and said that it is the color of her bedroom...so I think that I will pack it up and send it out to her........

that's my earliest memory ....... and longest........
Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Old quilts made from old clothes were what we used for keeping warm when I was a kid.
The frist quilt I made, I saw was in a craft mag. It was made from old jeans. So I made one for our Queen size bed, I sewed some pockets on top, and a blanket for the bottom and that thing weighed 10 #'s. You couldn't move once you got under it. So I took it apart and made 2 small quilts out of it and the gr. kids now use those when they go to football games.
They tell lme they are warm. :thumbup: