Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Have you ever set you quilt on fire? >

Have you ever set you quilt on fire?

Have you ever set you quilt on fire?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Looks like fabric will burn, I wondered if making candle mats was a mistake.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM

om goodness glad you were there to see it and not in another room when it caught fire !!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM

I think, things happen for a reason. And when something like this gets my attention, I am a renewed person lol and I will definately be more observant for it now.

I love the quilt more now, it's already made history lol. I am making an extention for it now, the part that will go over the pillow. For those who haven't seen the almost finished quilt, here is the link. I am posting the extention now.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-80056-1.htm
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
hahaha, I feel so foolish, here is the story and some pics lol.

I should know better, anyway, I lit a nice peach candle a friend gave me for Christmas in the studio where the children live (the doggies). And needing to blame someone, hubby is one who told me to do it ahahhaahha

Anyway I started to work on my quilts. I did have a large space to work on and didn't think the candle posed a problem, even tho my mind said to blow it out.

I remember flinging the quilt top to start working on one side, when I thought I saw a flash of light. I was going to ingnore it but decided to look and there was my quilt on fire....

I quickly beat it out, thank God it had just caught and it wasn't bad.
Oh my word. Glad you were able to fix it. I've set my hair on fire a couple times, and duct tape too (which slags but doesn't really burn well..) but I've never set a quilt on fire! Whoo hoo! I use a candle warmer electric plate, a jar candle and set it on top of a bookcase away from the sew area. Nice smell... no smoke or ash getting on the fabrics... maybe invest in one? Joanns or Michaels, use a 40% off coupon... lol.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
I think, things happen for a reason. And when something like this gets my attention, I am a renewed person lol and I will definately be more observant for it now.

I love the quilt more now, it's already made history lol. I am making an extention for it now, the part that will go over the pillow. For those who haven't seen the almost finished quilt, here is the link. I am posting the extention now.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-80056-1.htm
Renewed yes... and beautiful. Lovely picture of you as your avatar! I go to see the quilt!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM

So glad the damage was reparable. Nice warning to be careful of candles
Old 01-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Actually, I just burned a hole in a BOM I'm working on from my LQS! I'd had a candle burning next to my sewing machine, working on tiny sewing....figured I'd blow out the candle when I started to work on the BOM block. I forgot, and the next thing I know, there's smoke coming up next to me! Now I have to re-do that block... :oops:
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM

You have just established a way for us to learn how to make vital repairs in place of giving up. It turned out very good. One woulf never know. . Marvel
Old 01-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Happy you were able to fix this ! What a sad site the 1st pic !!! Never again !!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:50 PM

OMG hope you can fix your quilt.I woult have been so scared.