Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Harbor Freight >

Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight

Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 PM

HF blades work in Martelli cutters, but you have to unscrew the screw once in a while or it will get too tight. I think Martelli designed the cutter with the screw BACKWARDS so this would happen, and we'd think we couldn't use any blades but theirs!

Look at the cutter, and you'll see they put arrows showing which way to to turn it to change the blade. Anyway, if you let it get too tight, you'll need 2 wrenches to loosen it - one to hold the blade and one to turn the screw! The Martelli blades have a notch that keep them from getting too tight. Sneaky, heh!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

Just got back from a visit to Harbor Freight, and I am thrilled! Yes, these are the same size blades that fit the Olfa, Fiskars, Clover and Martelli. Any and all 45mm size rotary cutters. I love that they have a smooth center hole rather than the notched hole on Olfa blades. Cuts through fabric like butter. And at $1.99 per 2-pack, you can't beat that! LOVE IT!!

Just curious, I wonder how their carpet cutter that these blades go into would work on fabric....hmm
Old 01-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Check the tutorial video on Martelli's website....there is a reason for the difference in direction....no righty tighty, lefty loosey.
I saw Dave doing these demos last year at the Lancaster Show....and if you do it right, there is nothing to beat the Martelli rotary cutter.
But....I'm a bit confused....he told us the notched blades would not fit his cutter. Some of you have mentioned using this type. Perhaps that's why you're not totally happy with it. He, Dave Martelli, said to use the round centered blades.
I am making flannel rag quilts for many, many, many granddaughters...lol...and the 45 mm Martelli cutter goes thro the many thicknesses like butter. I can cut 15 layers of flannel perfectly....you have to use the right pressure on the ruler....their rubber black one is heavy and good, but I really like the clear ones better for regular minimal thickness cutting. I'm going to buy the 60 mm cutter at the Lancaster show in March, definitely. He gives us a good deal on some items....I'm considering some of the feet as well.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pennijanine
They also fit the Fiskar and Olfa cutters.
That's great news, Harbor Freight is opening up by us. Can't wait for the grand opening!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM

Just for ya'll to know--Martelli HAS TO USE their blades. The center cutout is not round like the OLFA. I tried it and te blade wiggles when you use it to cut. But-that said, I Love-Love-Love the Martelli and how easy it is to use and use it all the time.

Peg-TX
Innova 18"
Old 01-14-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
Just got back from a visit to Harbor Freight, and I am thrilled! Yes, these are the same size blades that fit the Olfa, Fiskars, Clover and Martelli. Any and all 45mm size rotary cutters. I love that they have a smooth center hole rather than the notched hole on Olfa blades. Cuts through fabric like butter. And at $1.99 per 2-pack, you can't beat that! LOVE IT!!

Just curious, I wonder how their carpet cutter that these blades go into would work on fabric....hmm
I reae on the forum when they were discussing the blades and such and didn't read much good about the actual cutter. Go into search and type in Harbor Freight blades, i think it will take you to that discussion
Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tcharlie
Originally Posted by ibequilting1
Do the Harbor Freight blades fit the Martelli rotary cutter
My cutter is a Fiskars, and wondering if they would fit it? Does anyone know?

Tcharlie
Yes fits in mine and works like a charm.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 PM
QM
Power Poster

My experience with the blades that are made to sell as hardware is that they don't stay sharp as long, but are still cheaper to use, even taking that into account.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:02 PM

Yes, Harbor Freight blades fit Fiskirs cutters.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:35 PM

I have Fiskars and they fit perfect. Have noticed that each one is a little different as far as sharpness. Doesn't seem to be uniform. The first ones I bought were extremely sharp. The second ones I couldn't get sharp even sharpening it myself.