Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sheets for Backing >

Sheets for Backing

Sheets for Backing

Old 01-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have read here that many quilters use sheets for backing and some buy single flat sheets at Walmart. I did a search and couldn't find the post I was looking for so I would like to ask this - is it necessary to use only 100% cotton sheets or are cotton/poly blends ok? All of my quilt tops are 100% cotton. I was in Walmart with DH today and all they had were the cotton blends. Thanks
When I face questions like this, I try to remember that quilting was a "use up the scraps" occupation. It has only been in the last thirty years or so that most of the quilts are created using fabric that is now bordering on $10 a yard.
I try to think of what the quilter faced fifty years ago and how she solved her problems ... if one spends enough time back in the "old days" you begin to realize that before the "industry" set the standards, women were using a lot of different materials to create quilts to keep their families warm.
It was an occupation of necessity and necessity doesn't necessarily follow "the rules".
Right now, on my bed, I have a string tied quilt made of double knit fabric. I must say the colors have held up beautifully for the quilt being more than forty years old. Would it win a prize at the County fair? No ... but, then, I am not using it for the prize - - I am using it to keep warm on freezing nights ... and, it does what it was created to do.
There is a group of women/quilters called "The Quilters of Gees Bend" ... look at their quilts and see pieces of overalls, double knits, shirts, blankets ... whatever they could recycle into quilt - - and, don't you know??? A number of "famous" quilters think these are the best quilts since little green apples ...
We use what we have to use to get the job done. A poly/cotton mix will not shrink, perhaps, like an all cotton front will - - but, then it depends on what you are going to do with your quilt.
I use sheets with no problem, but I am not handquilting, and I have heard the the weave is so tight (don't go higher than 200 threads per inch) that handquilting is frustrating to say the least.
To my way of thinking - - sometimes being a purist deprives perfectly capable quilters of really getting involved.
In 1976 when the quilting "craze" resurfaced, we in America have been blessed to be able to purchase tons of fabric that our forefathers could never imagine. We can buy backing in a myriad of colors and textures that is the envy of the world. Those things are luxuries - - we have them now, but they were not always in existence ... the need for warmth against the cold has been universal from the beginning of man ... work with what you have and can afford and if you get really deep into quilting, you will decide what is really important and desirable for yourself as you gain experience. Just starting out? Rest assured that your sheets as backing is not a new invention ... people have forgotten that at one time all the sheets were muslin and you bought them by the yard and stitched them yourself.
ahhhh, luxury <g> it is a beautiful thing - - but, what we have now has not always been <wave>
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM

What thread count should I use that will not get the little pills on it? I would hat for that to happen after all the time I put into making the top.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by moms_pantry
What thread count should I use that will not get the little pills on it? I would hat for that to happen after all the time I put into making the top.
I would keep the thread count as low as possible, and make sure that it is 110% cotton. It seems to me that the blended sheets tend to pill more than cotton. (But, in this area I am not an expert). the higher the thread count, the more difficult to hand quilt, and I am thinking that the high thread count is what causes a problem for long arm quilters. <wave>
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by moms_pantry
I would keep the thread count as low as possible, and make sure that it is 110% cotton. It seems to me that the blended sheets tend to pill more than cotton. (But, in this area I am not an expert). the higher the thread count, the more difficult to hand quilt, and I am thinking that the high thread count is what causes a problem for long arm quilters. <wave>
Thank you. It seems like sheets would be less expensive.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 AM

I use main stay sheets from Walmart I have used them on my bed for years with no pilling they are 200 thread count and I have no problem hand quilting them I do believe they are a blend. My mom uses them a lot for making pillow covers and I have had some of them yer many years with no pilling either
Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
I use main stay sheets from Walmart I have used them on my bed for years with no pilling they are 200 thread count and I have no problem hand quilting them I do believe they are a blend. My mom uses them a lot for making pillow covers and I have had some of them yer many years with no pilling either
The voice of experience trumps assumption every time <wave>