Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: sheets as backing

Is it acceptable to use a king-size sheet for a quilt back? It takes so many yards of fabric to make a king quilt and deal with the seams. White sales are coming. 100% cotton is what I would look for.

I use sheets all the time. I hand quilt and some say they hare hard to handquilt with but I have to say I don't find any problems doing it.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I love to use sheets for backing it's much cheaper for a large quilt.

If you are happy with it then absolutely!

I have used sheets for backings and even piecing and have always been pleased with the results. The sheets have proven to be durable.

Some will say never, some will say yes. Do what you like. :)

I have heard that you don't want the really high thread count and that the sheets can be harder to hand quilt through.

Many places sell wide fabrics at a very reasonable cost. You may want to look around for that if you are not interested in using sheets.

Blog Entries
    I think they are a great idea... I have been using a muslin sheet I found at a thrift shop.. lol and it will go a long way as well :) Cut into several pieces to use as backs for small projects and background too!

Thanks for that idea -- I'd never thought of it.

I just think that bed sheets or even blankets are good enough for the backing of a quilt as the back is not seen.

I use sheets alot for my backing. I usually try to pick them up at garage sales when they are in great condition.
    Never had a problem with them....."Anything to save a few bucks"

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    They absolutely work!! Go for it :D

Yes, I use sheets for backing too. It is so much easier and you don't have the seams on the back side.

I love using sheets.If they are 100% cotton.I do it all the time.It costs alot less too and we have to try and save money when we can.

Blog Entries
    just don't use a high thread count, like 800 or over, i've been told

my mom in law ( been hand quilting for many years, she is 72) uses only sheets as backing.. they dont give her any trouble that I know of.

Blog Entries
    also you can buy 108" or 116" wide fabric, then you do not have the seams and it only takes 3 or 3 1/2 yards for a backing, those sales are good too.

Sometimes I can find a flat sheet for really cheap at Marshalls, Homegoods or TJ MAX. The flat sheet seems is always the last to sell so good selection in the deep discount area.

I also use sheets. I get mine at Walmart and look for
    their storebrand. They are very reasonably priced. I get the cheapest unless I want a decorator colored one. The thread count is about 200-300. They work fine for me.

Whilst you're looking through the sales, don't discard the duvet covers.

You might get a good bargain of lovely 100% cotton and two backing fabrics as a bonus.

Just have to cut round or open the seams.

Blog Entries
    Sheets are great but come with controversy. If you like the look, go for it. For myself I love to find fabric that suits the quilt and then I get two looks by turning the quilt over.

I use sheets all the time for my quilt backings. I stock up on King size flats when I find them on sale (often less than $10) Canadian for 100% cotton. I also use flannelette sheets for my warmer quilts and my kids think that they are especially cuddly. I like the King size ones because they are often only a couple of dollars more than the doubles and the extra fabric can be used to make pillowcases. Someday I may make an heirloon quilt and want matching fabric but for now co-ordinating sheets match my budget and the hard use kids put their quilts through.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I use sheets all the time for my quilt backings. I stock up on King size flats when I find them on sale (often less than $10) Canadian for 100% cotton. I also use flannelette sheets for my warmer quilts and my kids think that they are especially cuddly. I like the King size ones because they are often only a couple of dollars more than the doubles and the extra fabric can be used to make pillowcases. Someday I may make an heirloon quilt and want matching fabric but for now co-ordinating sheets match my budget and the hard use kids put their quilts through.
    Please tell me more about the 'flannelette'. Is that "flannel"? We use flannel sheets in the winter. I have wanted to use some flat flannel sheets for quilt backing because it seems it would be a snuggly quilt. I was concerned the flannel sheet might get fuzz balls and my quilt would be toast. I don't have a problem with fuzz balls on the flannel sheets I use on the bed. I don't know why I consider it a concern for the quilt backing. I do plan to give it a try but would love to benefit from your experience. Thanks...

I've heard of using patterned sheets as whole-cloth quilt tops, too. Use a plain one for the backing and the main thing you're left with is the binding and batting.

Thank you to all who responded. I'll start looking for sheet sales soon. I imagine the sheet should be washed a few times before using.

I have always used sheets cotton are flannel never a problem
    with using them , I'd say go for it :D

I never thought of flannel. Could a flannel sheet be used as batting or just backing? Can flannel ever be used as batting?

I say if the brand of sheet you use gets little balls on it don't use it. I use main stay from Walmart and have used them for years and never had balling up so use the same ones for quilt backs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast