Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sheets as backing

The sheets I use right now don't get balls, but they wrinkle!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMN
    I never thought of flannel. Could a flannel sheet be used as batting or just backing? Can flannel ever be used as batting?
    I have been saving my old flannel sheets and plan to use them as my 'middle' layer in the sandwich. I think it will work just fine and I don't have the heart to throw a flannel sheet away just because it is old. I am going to be old someday too and I don't want to be thrown away. :-) Seems the quilt will have good weight to it. I am anxious for answers from others who may have used them for batting already.

I never thought of flannel. Could a flannel sheet be used as batting or just backing? Can flannel ever be used as batting?
    Yes flannel makes a good batting f you want a thinner quilt. Just prewash flannel really shrinks.
    I have also used pre washed flannel as a thin batting in a quilted jacket.

I use flannel on the back of baby quilts but had not thought of using on a regular quilt. Makes sense though. I would especially want to use flannel for kids; they love the soft feel of the flannel. Thanks for sharing.

I have never used one but it sounds like a good idea to me. I say go for it.

I use flannel for backing and also use it for batting.

I have used fleece on the back of a baby quilt. No batting. Just quilt the 2 together.

Flannelette is the same thing as flannel. In Canada the two terms are almost interchangeable. Flannelette tends to be sold as yardage which is fine for quilt backings but would have to be seamed. I haven't had a huge problem with flannel sheets pilling or shrinking. The heavier Ibex ones (they have coloured stripes on both ends and are a creamy colour) are especially thick and long wearing. Just be sure to check the weave (loose, light or sleezy is not good)and prewash if you don't like the crinkled look in your top. I've had quilts with flannel backings stand up really well to repeated washings. They also tend to not slide off your bed as easily. Flannel sheets are also fine for quilt battings but make a much flatter quilt.

I have used sheets for backing. I like the fact it's one big piece. Have quilted on my machine with no problems. My Aunt made me a king size quilt out of polyester fabric with a printed sheet for the back. All hand quilted. It's beautiful and still holding up 25 years later. I can never see me doing something like that. I would never give this quilt up for anything. I like the polyester!

I use sheets all the time. You are right it is cheeper than buying yards and yards of material.

Blog Entries
    It's your quilt! You can do whatever you want to do!! :wink:

I use a crib sheet as backings for baby quilts. Since the crib sheets I use usually match the decor of the room, I also buy a second sheet and fussy cut pieces of it to use on the front of the quilt. This makes for an extremely unique baby quilt that matches the room perfectly. I've never tried to use one as a backing for a larger quilt but will try it on a future project.

I have used sheets many times. Don't use the microfiber ones though...they stretch

Target just had a sheet sale. I got some queen size quilts for $10.00. They are 250 thread count.

Mistake queen size sheets. Should read my reply efore sending.

I don't want to hand quilt with a tightly woven sheet, but if you machine quilt, no problem. A muslin sheet can be stitched through, but I do launder it first to take any sizing out.

We used to make tied quilts using sheets for the top and bottom but had to be careful not to buy the expensive kind with the high thread count.
    We are given bed sheets no longer used by a local motel for the charity quilts we make at church. Saves a lot of money and are queen and king sized. But, be careful cutting them down to size, they are not torn straight, they are cut by machine on piles of fabric. It is better to tear them and be sure they are straight. Some smell like bleach so we wash them.

Carol J.

I have bought many good condition sheet sets at yard sales for little or nothing. When I get the set, I use the flat sheet for backing and the fitted and pillow cases for quilt pieces. It is neat to use the backing (flat sheet) on a quilt that has some of the same prints (fitted sheet) in the quilt top.

Great ideas everyone. I just gave a double bed to my nephew for his new apartment. He didn't want the sheets I had for it and I don't have another double bed. I was trying to figure out what to do with the sheets. Will keep them for quilting. Most have flowers on them, the grand daughters will love them!! Brilliant!

I went to my local op shop and bought a lot of doona covers that were hardly used and I think they are great as the front is different to the back but the same colour and complimentary pattern so i will use them as quilts and find a sheet to use on the back

If you are going to have your quilt by a longarm quilter, the answer is NO. The difference in thread count is a big issue

I often use sheets for backing. I did find that you must make sure that the white 100% cotton (that has been bleached repeatedly) does not hold up well. Test its strength first.

Is it acceptable to use a king-size sheet for a quilt back? It takes so many yards of fabric to make a king quilt and deal with the seams. White sales are coming. 100% cotton is what I would look for.
    This reminds me a of sweet story. DS 23 is getting married and told me his bride to be doesn't use top sheets. I asked him why? Her mother is also a quilter and she uses all the top sheets out of the sheet sets to make backs for quilts.
    :lol: :P :D :P :lol: :lol:

What a sneaky way to get them to use a top sheet! Put it on the back of a quilt!!

I did a lot of home visiting when I worked, it surprised me how many people do not use sheets at all. Just sleep on the bare mattress-Yeww!

I read on here a while back that someone that sounded like they know what they are talking about said that the thread count of sheets is higher than regular fabric, and the threads can break easily and cause holes in the fabric later on. It makes sense. Plus when its higher thread count, its harder to get the needle through. So, I don't use sheets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast