Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: sheets as backing

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Why is it that everything I've read and been told before now was not to use sheets. Help me understand why everybody here is saying it's okay to use sheets.

You can use sheets because there are no quilt police and it is your quilt to make with whatever you want. LOL

I buy the 108-120" backing. But after reading all the messages I think I will try using sheets.

Thanks for sending off a light bulb in my head.

ef ;)

I finished a king size quilt early this summer and used a sheet for backing. I have used sheets for two other queen size quilts and they have done real well. All of these quilts have been tied ones.

WOW, I never thought of using a sheet! I am new to quilting and thought you had to purchase material, which as you all know is very expensive. I think using a sheet is absolutely fantastic and I am going to try it. Thanks, Jane

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    also you can buy 108" or 116" wide fabric, then you do not have the seams and it only takes 3 or 3 1/2 yards for a backing, those sales are good too.
    That's what I'll be using my recent Joann's coupon for - a few yards of wide backing fabric. My grandmas always used a sheet to back her quilts. The last time I bought a queen size sheet at Wal-Mart it was cheaper for me to go buy some fabric off the clearance shelf.

There are all kinds of ideas out there about using bed sheets and I have used many different type of sheets including high thread count and have had no problems with them at all. I use different types of needles on my machine and needles for hand sewing. Thin needles will go thru high thread count sheets. The other thing if you have a dull needle it makes it hard to poke the needle thru on any type of fabric. A dull needle "may damage" some threads but it won't make a hole that you have to worry about and it won't show. You can sew what you want sewing is sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish
    If you are going to have your quilt by a longarm quilter, the answer is NO. The difference in thread count is a big issue
    Why would it be such an issue?

I like flannel as quilt backs because they are cuddly and stay on the bed better.
    Sharon W

Junior Member Carol in Colorado's Avatar
    I do it all the time and have never had a problem.

PJO

When I had my LA, I used sheets as backing without any problems.

I like to use sheets as well. These days I find flat sheets are hard to find on their own, as usually sets are sold. I find the flat sheet doesn't wear out nearly as quickly as the bottom sheet and the pillow slips, so the last few times I bought a sheet set, I saved the flat for a backing, and reused the old flat sheet for my bed. It doesn't always match, but so far no one is complaining. I find 300 thread count or less works best.

I use sheets all the time for my large projects. I use to go through the flea markets in Germany looking for old German sheets. They are 100% cotton and they keep them so white. I have even used their comforter covers as backing. Some are really pretty.

I use sheets for piecing and backing. I buy them at our local thrift stores for very low prices... under $4.00 for King size. One can find both cotton and flannel sheets and can often find complete sets. Definitely worth the time spent looking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMN
    I never thought of flannel. Could a flannel sheet be used as batting or just backing? Can flannel ever be used as batting?
    My grandma made quilts all the time.. but she lived in the desert outside of Palm Springs.. even though it can be blazing hot in the day, the desert cools down fast when the sun goes down and you still need something to cover up with. So, for light weight quilts, she always used well washed flannel for her batting. She always washed and dried it several times because flannel shrinks more than cotton.. She wanted the shrinkage all taken care of.. I'm still using those same quilts today.

Thanks for the idea. I never thought of using a sheet. I have 9 quilts cut out that I wanted to have done by Christmas but being a newbie I know I am never going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Judie
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMN
    I never thought of flannel. Could a flannel sheet be used as batting or just backing? Can flannel ever be used as batting?
    My grandma made quilts all the time.. but she lived in the desert outside of Palm Springs.. even though it can be blazing hot in the day, the desert cools down fast when the sun goes down and you still need something to cover up with. So, for light weight quilts, she always used well washed flannel for her batting. She always washed and dried it several times because flannel shrinks more than cotton.. She wanted the shrinkage all taken care of.. I'm still using those same quilts today.
    just a note flannel is made of all cotton so it does shrink a lot.

I think it is like cooking. We determine the ingredients based on the use. It is just supper for the kids, and a rework of leftovers, or is it for a dinner party? Quilts are like that. If I were to ever try to make one for competition, I would use the best materials and make my back look as good as the front, but for the grandkid's bed, a sheet works great. we all know there can be a great difference between bedding and art.

I have used sheets before anyone told me they did not use them. No problems.

I have a question. Do you have to put a batting between the top and bottom of the quilt or can I just put top & bottom together and start quilting. HELP

I have not tried it yet....my mother always used sheets for backing. The first quilt she made for me was a sheet with big flowers and stems and she hand quilted the whole thing with a sheet on the back. She spent a long time on it. It is very precious to me and it is on a quilt rack in the bedroom. She also made hand made pieced quilts with sheet as backing...she always did it all by hand (no machine)...

Blog Entries
    good to know!

I have used sheets...they r great!..

Quote Originally Posted by treeseek quilter
    I have a question. Do you have to put a batting between the top and bottom of the quilt or can I just put top & bottom together and start quilting. HELP
    It's your quilt, it's up to you. Most quilts have batting of some kind between the top and back, but there are "summer quilts" that usually are just a top and backing. They are lightweight and don't have the puffy look of quilts made with batting. The summer qilts are nice for warm climates.

I used a quilted top for a bedspread and didn't put any batting in it, but even for a lightweight quilt, I like at least a flannel sheet as lining.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast