Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually use a pattern? >

How many of you actually use a pattern?

How many of you actually use a pattern?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by LCkitty
If I did not use a pattern, Lord knows what I would end up with. I always use a pattern . Maybe I am a little dumb that way! I can cook without a recipe and I tweak those all the time when I use them , but not for my quilting!
LCkitty... So off topic, but I love your kitty avatar! S/He's a beautiful kitty... makes me want to reach out and rumple his/her fur!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 AM

I use patterns like I use recipes, they are a start. Always change something to make it mine. Patterns are great for firing up your imagination and then you can go from there. I just got Electric Quilt 7 and have some ideas that I want to see if they will work. This board has been the inspiration behind many ideas. Just looking at the avatars alone is terrific.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 AM

I don't use a pattern--but I often get ideas from magazines or from those in this group. It always challenges me to see if I can figure out how a block is put together. But I have also found that after I have struggled to put a block together, that there is an easier way. So I think patterns have their place--I just usually don't use them. :(
Old 01-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
Sometimes I use the pattern as a guideline, but don't think I have ever made one exactly like the pattern is printed. I usually pull fabric that I want to use out of my closet and go from there. Of course, some of the basic old patterns I still love - Anvil, log cabin, courthouse steps
I'm with you quilter 1943. I use the basic pattern for block sizes, and maybe colors, but I pull from my stash because I ususally use my favorite colors. I too am a traditional piecer and love the old blocks, but always add or take something and change up patterns......
Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 AM

I get an idea in my head and usually pull out the graph paper. I have gotten an idea when in bed and gotten up to put the thought on paper. I sometimes change things as I go. I agree some quilts talk to you.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by LCkitty
If I did not use a pattern, Lord knows what I would end up with. I always use a pattern . Maybe I am a little dumb that way! I can cook without a recipe and I tweak those all the time when I use them , but not for my quilting!
LCkitty... So off topic, but I love your kitty avatar! S/He's a beautiful kitty... makes me want to reach out and rumple his/her fur!
I so agree. What a beauty!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:17 AM

I sometimes use a pattern in a book or magazine as a starting point, but I always make changes to suit my personal tastes. Mostly I use books,'zines and miscellaneous pictures I've collected for design and color inspiration and go from there.

Diana
Old 01-26-2011, 06:19 AM

My most impressive quilts were done with a pattern--i.e. my avitar for example. I do use EQ6 to map out how to put together blocks I have made and just yesterday, worked out the "Exploding Star" pattern on EQ6 so I will be sure to get the blocks assembled correctly (when I have made the almost 800 HST blocks that the pattern requires for the size I want.)I have a lot of patterns I have not used as they were intended--like someone else said, when I get started I often go off on my own. The patterns I DO use are the ones for applique blocks.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM

I have like followed a pattern. When I don't, it's because I made a mistake, and changed things to make everything fit together.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 AM

The only time I don't use a pattern is when I purchase a panel and need to design blocks to go around the panel. Other than that my mind is not creative on it's own. I read and follow directions really well and this works for me.