Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am

weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am

Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Edie how long does it take you to walk a mile and at what pace?
Leslie Sansone has music (beat) and you follow that and then she picks it up a little faster and then a little faster and then is the cool down - figuring five minutes each section: warmup, power walk, faster, faster, cool down and then a two minute stretch. She says and it follows on my Omron pedometer (that I wear every waking minute and got it at Walgreen's) that one mile is 2,000 steps. You'd be surprised what you walk in the house, or out shopping, or going here or there, taking out the trash, getting a load of wash from the basement, its unbelievable how much you walk in one day. I also learned that you burn 100 calories for every one mile you walk. So, I am on the American Heart Association website and I keep track of all my steps per day and since I was in on the Weight Loss Challenge here for January and started with the pedometer on February 5, I have walked 111.192 miles, which equals 222.384 steps. Which is 2,000 steps per mile. And most of that was in the house!!! Beat that one with a stick. So, good luck to you. It is 3:15 pm cst. and I am going to do the Walk and Tone with Leslie Sansone , which is 23 minutes long and then I am going to finish up a quilt block, run over to the drug store and come home and make me up a smashing salad.

Enjoy your day! Edie

PS Almost forgot to answer your question - it usually takes 15 minutes to walk a mile and then the rest is warm up and cool down. I can walk 3 miles in 45 minutes, no problem. And I am 72, so it does help and my stomach is flatter, my wattle is leaving my throat and I discovered I HAVE A WAISTLINE! And I can wear a long sleeved low cut knit shirt and blue jeans. And I feel really good! And so will you!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Hey everybody. I am so excited. I lost 4.9 lbs this month, making my 2 month total 15.8 lbs. I am so psyched up about this now. Jan 1, I weighed 262.8. This morning I weighed 247.0. HOORAY for me. I am thrilled. I was hoping for more, but I will take any loss I can get. Frankly, I was surprised I didn't lose more, as I was just sick for 4 days and barely ate anything those days. Since then, I have watched what I ate. Oh well... I won't beat myself up about it, because I LOST!!!!! Guess that 4 days of barely eating anything slowed my metabolism down realllll good. I have not seen the 240's in at least 10 years. This is thrilling! I'm starting to realize, I CAN DO THIS!!!!!

As we all know, losing weight is a mental thing. You HAVE to be constantly mentally aware of what you are putting in your mouth and how much you are moving. So, today at lunch, while eating my leftover baked chicken, I made myself a list of things/events I have to look forward to, which I want to lose weight for. Yes, I want to lose weight for my health, but I also want to look better and feel better about myself. This past weekend, I started cutting pictures out of catalogs of clothes I would like to wear. I also made up a bunch of words, to put on pages in this notebook I am starting. It's going to be my "weight loss journal". Some might think I'm crazy, but whatever works. I'd rather be cutting out pretty clothes than munching on potato chips (which by the way I have NONE in my house). But you get my picture. I will try to attach the pictures so ya'll can see what I am doing. I will keep a journal through this process of losing weight and add little comments, words, remarks, feelings and etc as I go along. Anything to keep me motivated and moving forward. I will cut each one of these words or sayings out and post on different pages. I will make the pages colorful and "fru fru" to make it interesting to me and make me work on it more. Sandy

Words to Encourage me
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149984[/ATTACH]

"Reminders" to myself
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149985[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149977.jpe   attachment-149979.jpe   attachment-149980.jpe  
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned

I would like to say something to all of you..........I get depressed because most times I am alone. I always feel what is the point in even being alive. My son is away at school he will most likely never live close to home. My daughter hadn't lived at home for almost 4 year before she got hit with the rock. She has been staying wiht her GF the past week. I am sure she will move out ASAP after all her surgeries. At times I didn't see or hear from her for months. Her BoyF and his family were the people that mattered to her. I am sure once she has another BoyF it will be the same.........HOWEVER........I had an awaking today. There are so many people who do this challenge and lose weight. People who have tired in the past and couldn't lose an oz yet with this thread for what ever reason they are losing weight, exercising and getting healthy. They get all excited and I get excited for them, we all do. Now I am not patting myself on the back but maybe this was my purpose in life to get people motivated to take control of their weight. I don't know I am just thinking out loud.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:23 PM

In some ways Tru you are truly blessed. Most of us never know if we are having an impact on the world. You have brought us all together, are helping us all get healthier, and have created a web of friendships that have made all our lives just that much brighter. For all the people on this thread each month their lives are better because of you, and you certainly matter to us!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:43 PM

You go Edie. 4 miles an hour or 3 in 45 minutes is a pretty brish walk!

As I am down in weight I am trying to add in walking. When I was heavier it was uncomfortable for me. I now park at the end of the parking lot at work and when I shop so I get a bit more exercise.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Thanks for sharing Sandy. I wish I had done something like that when I first started losing weight. It was so depressing not to lose faster. Even when I was losing I felt like a failure. Having something to go to as a reminder would have been helpful.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:51 PM

Tru, from the different weight loss sites I have read, they say one of the best ways to lose weight is to get a friend or a group to help support you. I have tried several times in the past twelve years to lose and had failed. This time I'm winning the battle of the bulge and it is partly due to this site.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Our dear Tru, you are so important to all of us. You got us all going when we were stagnant and just existing as "fluffy" people. Now, thanks to you and the encouragement from everyone on this thread, I am finally doing something about getting this weight off. There are days I want to eat something "bad", so bad, I am tempted to drive into town just to get it. However, all I have to do is get on this wt loss thread and read others entries and it slaps sense back into me. There are days we all need to be told to "put on our big girl panties and deal with it" and you're the one to do that for us. There are days we need to be told to "poop or get off the pot" and you do that for us. There are days we need a pat on our backs for doing good, and there you are again. Don't EVER EVER doubt why you are here. God has a plan. He is using you to help us. I appreciate you starting these threads and keeping them going. I have lost over 15 lbs in 2 months because of this thread. If it wasn't for this thread, I would have quit by now. I hate to admit it, but I would have, based upon past experience. Not this time. I am on a roll and I'm not turning back. THANK YOU TRU, for what you do for us!!!!!! You are loved!!!!! Big hugs sent to you. Sandy
Old 02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

They say that laughter is the best medicine. Well Tru you have caused me to laugh my ass off and Missy too!! I think we have a great group of ppl on here and the support we give each other is awesome. I know I go thru boughts of depression from time to time but we all manage to get thru it. You have my # if you just need someone to listen.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
You go Edie. 4 miles an hour or 3 in 45 minutes is a pretty brish walk!

As I am down in weight I am trying to add in walking. When I was heavier it was uncomfortable for me. I now park at the end of the parking lot at work and when I shop so I get a bit more exercise.
I just had to tell you something. I walked over to the drugstore a little bit ago - ten blocks away. Came home and there was my neighbor with two fat quarters to congratulate me on my weight loss (love her, she's so sweet!) and went out to the mail and you'll never guess - three envelopes, one from LA, one from Romeo and one from Bossier City, each with a fat quarter. You people have made my day! Sometimes it's a good day, sometimes the food jumps out at you, but your perserverance will win. Each and every one of you have a special place in my heart and I saved the envelopes and cards too.The little blue and white gingham note, the bluebird, all so sweet.

I would like to take this opportunity again, to thank all of you, who sent me a fat quarter. It was so much fun and you all made a tough job easy peasy!!!!! And because I don't want to let any of you down, I'll remember all of you with the fat quarters and what a trip this has been. I just may decide to try one more time. I still have weight to go, but will see how much I can get shed of in the next few months.

Thanks again so very much. Edie