Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am

weight loss challenge with a prize feb sign up.........closes feb 2 @ 8am

Old 02-28-2011, 06:33 PM

That makes plenty of sense to me. I've noticed that drinking diet soda makes me crave salty snacks and chocolate. When I drink water I never think about either of those.

I also don't lose as much when I drink diet soda.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnaD
Hey, y'all. I had some awful news today. I'm an RN and today I talked to the doctor that does the lap-band and gastric bypass surgeries for a hospital in St. Louis. He was down here doing a seminar for ladies interested in getting either one done.

I told him I had thought of having one or the other done in the past, but had never followed through. While I was talking to him I was drinking a diet Dr. Pepper. He said "Well, I wouldn't do either on you until you swore to never drink another soda". I said but I only drink diet sodas. He said "Doesn't matter. Soda keeps you fat. The carbonation keeps your stomach stretched, which means it takes more food to make you feel full. If you have either one of the surgeries and drink soda it will stretch your new reduced-size stomach and when it does you will lose all the benefit from having surgery". Now, I've heard that drinking diet soda was not good if you were on a diet because it kept you from losing your desire for sweets, but I never heard this. He explained a lot more about it but bottom line is soda prevents you from losing weight by causing you to eat more. It makes sense. If I get an upset stomach I'll drink a soda as fast as I can so that I can burp like a truckdriver and feel better. Breaks my heart to think I have to give up my sodas. What in the world will I do without them? Drink water?
I don't drink soda...........could someone do me a favor?????? Put this info on the March thread. Thanks
Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Hey, y'all. I had some awful news today. I'm an RN and today I talked to the doctor that does the lap-band and gastric bypass surgeries for a hospital in St. Louis. He was down here doing a seminar for ladies interested in getting either one done.

I told him I had thought of having one or the other done in the past, but had never followed through. While I was talking to him I was drinking a diet Dr. Pepper. He said "Well, I wouldn't do either on you until you swore to never drink another soda". I said but I only drink diet sodas. He said "Doesn't matter. Soda keeps you fat. The carbonation keeps your stomach stretched, which means it takes more food to make you feel full. If you have either one of the surgeries and drink soda it will stretch your new reduced-size stomach and when it does you will lose all the benefit from having surgery". Now, I've heard that drinking diet soda was not good if you were on a diet because it kept you from losing your desire for sweets, but I never heard this. He explained a lot more about it but bottom line is soda prevents you from losing weight by causing you to eat more. It makes sense. If I get an upset stomach I'll drink a soda as fast as I can so that I can burp like a truckdriver and feel better. Breaks my heart to think I have to give up my sodas. What in the world will I do without them? Drink water?
My doctor told me not to drink soda because the carbonation could cause the stitching on the new stomach to tear out. I was a real Diet Coke freak (6 to 8) a day and have not had any since November of 2009. Lots of water and Crystal Light!! Don't really miss it and love the money saved!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by trupeach1

I don't drink soda...........could someone do me a favor?????? Put this info on the March thread. Thanks
I moved it for you.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
If you drink a half gallon to a gallon of water a day, you won't want to drink anything else. Another problem with diet soda is it is full of sodium.
Yea, and then I will have to wear diapers. lol
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Threadedneedle

My doctor told me not to drink soda because the carbonation could cause the stitching on the new stomach to tear out. I was a real Diet Coke freak (6 to 8) a day and have not had any since November of 2009. Lots of water and Crystal Light!! Don't really miss it and love the money saved!!
Oh gosh, that means he was right. I feel withdrawal symptoms coming on right now. I love my soda... Diet Cherry Dr Pepper... I only drink a 2 liter a day... that little bit won't hurt, will it?

I'm going to go cry now. Wait... I still have five 2 liters in the kitchen. I'm the only one who will drink them. I can't throw them out. That would just be wrong. I can quit after I drink them... I wonder if wine will stretch your stomach. That would give me something to drink and cheer me up at the same time. Have to remember to take tic-tacs to work though, put the wine in a Dr Pepper bottle. It's worth thinking about...

A life without soda... will it be worth living?
Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

DonnaD I'm right there with you except I only drink 1 or 2 glasses of soda a day. I can't sacrifice my pop, I gotta have it.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
DonnaD I'm right there with you except I only drink 1 or 2 glasses of soda a day. I can't sacrifice my pop, I gotta have it.
Regular soda has about 150+ calories per glass. Diet soda will cause an increase of calories as it stimulates eating, and plays with blood sugar levels. Plus, diet soda has a lot of sodium in it which may increase water retention and bloating.

Another side effect of soda is it may act as a diuretic and reduce the water needed to keep you body functioning. You need water to burn fat.

Increase your water consumption and it may help decrease your need for soda. Remember when you cut your soda you may experience headaches from caffine withdrawal.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Ok you all I'm moving on to the march thread and won't be watching this anymore. Time to start chatting over there.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Banned

WE HAVE A TIE ..........

the winners losing 12lbs are ,,,,,,,, CarolJ and DonnaD......Congrats to you both.

The theme FQ is men. Since it is a tie this is how it will be done. The list of players is on page 16 the first 1/2 will send the FQ to CarolJ the second 1/2 of the list will send to DonnD.

If you do not have the themed FQ PLEASE send what you have.