Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilted jacket >

Quilted jacket

Quilted jacket

Old 02-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Beautiful jacket!!!! Your MIL will love it! I have the same problems with hoarding the fabrics I love...but always feel good later when I use them for my loved ones.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:51 PM

Beautiful jacket!!!! Your MIL will love it! I have the same problems with hoarding the fabrics I love...but always feel good later when I use them for my loved ones.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM

You can do it that way in that tute, but here's an easy peasy way..

1. Get your sweatshirt.
2. Cut seams OR take out stitching. I preferred to take out the stitching.
3. Get your fabrics that you want to use.
4. Once you have all that, you can start.
5. You have your shirts seams all out. Now take the sides where there "should" be a seam and iron it very well. Cut that side seam on both sides.
6. Measure the front piece for the middle. Cut down the exact middle of the front.
7. Now that you have all that done, lay that aside.
8. Take your fabric and cut 3inch strips from it. Fat quarters would work best if you like...doesn't really matter. Once you have about 6 or 8 strips sewn together, cut each strip into 3 inch strips so you have a strip of 3 inch blocks. Clear as mud so far??
9. Take one of your strips and sew another one to it at the bottom. Sew this strip AT THE EDGE of the front middle.
Take off from the bottom what is not used. Don't worry about overhang...let that be.
10. Now keep going until you have ALL of the pieces covered. You'll have overhang on all of it, don't worry about it.
11. Take your pieces and iron them down nicely. Now, cut all the overhang off even to your shirt pieces. I did use a bit of Elmers glue to hold some of the non sewn pieces down. Worked nicely so I didn't screw it up.
12. Now that you have it all nicely cute and pretty, sew it all back together....Sew the shoulders seams first.
Now that shoulders are sewn, sew the sleeves in making sure ends match. (No, you are not sewing the sleeve seam, then putting it in..the piece will be wide open) You might have to tug a bit to get it all in, but be patient, it'll work.
13. Now that the sleeves are in, pin the underarms where the seams would be and sew one big seam from bottom of shirt to seam of sleeve all the way. Yes,,one long seam!!
Now, it should look like a shirt again!
14. Get yourself some binding or make your own and bind it all around. Take care on the corners and curves.
Once that is done, you can put a zipper in or use frog closures or something like that to close it.
Clear as mud?

Oh, ya'll want me to do a tute with pictures? OMG!! Ok, I have to finish cleaning my sewing room. Should have it done, hopefully by tomorrow, and I'll get one done. I am going to make one for each of the babies, so it should go quickly...I hope. ;)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM

That's so much better than a sweatshirt any day. Beautiful. Can I be your MIL?? I have a nice son - single.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Great Job! She will enjoy showing it off!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by snicktrain
That's so much better than a sweatshirt any day. Beautiful. Can I be your MIL?? I have a nice son - single.
I have a 20 yr old girl that doesn't have a boyfriend. ;)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM

Really pretty. Thanks for the hints. Am sure your MIL will love the jacket.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Wow! Wow! Wow! Terri, it looks great....and you used your Asian fabrics...you need to have Bill tell his Mom that those are really special fabrics and you don't share those normally.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:49 PM

It is Beautiful.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Susie...she knows that I have a problem with cutting the Asian fabrics. I'm sure she'll see that I did use them and she'll love it even more. No, I'm not trying for brownie points with her. I KNOW I'm the favorite daughter in law. Ok, I'm the ONLY daughter in law lmao