We Are Awesome!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 AM

Amazing isn't it? We didn't have lots of money...just lots of imagination!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:43 AM

I would like to add another one to Ditter's list.

We played sports, all by ourselves, with no adult coaches, umpires, or spectators. We made and enforced the rules, settled disputes, chose up sides, without ANY HELP from grownups. If anyone's parents had sat on the sidelines, cheering them on, we would have thought they were certifiably insane.

Kids these days miss out on all that. They can't do anything without an adult to tell them what and how to do it.

And yes, I was the one who was always chosen LAST for the team. And I survived.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 AM

WE - adults as well as children - have become LAZY. We use to be OUTSIDE most of the day - good weather, bad weather. Now we are on the computer or watching tv. We ALL need to do more gardening this year - flowers and vegetables. What do you think??
Old 02-20-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
WE - adults as well as children - have become LAZY. We use to be OUTSIDE most of the day - good weather, bad weather. Now we are on the computer or watching tv. We ALL need to do more gardening this year - flowers and vegetables. What do you think??
I would love to garden but my black thumb is quite terrible. My DH actually tells people that his wife has an "apocolyptic" thumb. But each year I take our girls hiking. Perhaps I can get them into gardening, with the promise that their mother will stay far away from all of their endeavors. :lol:
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
I was born in the early 80's (GASP! Did I really just say that out loud!?!?) and I can say, I was fortunate enough to have an old fashioned Dad who abided by these guidelines. I pray that I can raise my girls half as well.
Umm, I was born in 1930 - that makes me older than your dad...81 yrs now!
and you and I were lucky...but you know there are lots and lots of good people around everywhere who are like you and your dad!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Have y'all ever thought that we oldsters possibly lived in the best of times ever to happen?
It isn't exactly better now...
I remember seeing actual clouds of butterflies, coming down to drink from puddles after a rain...
...and lots and lots more birds!
When they killed the bugs, they killed the bird food!
Maybe the reason we are oldsters now is because our water did not have complicated toxic chemicals in it...although it might have had some sand or earth in it.
...and our food wasn't sprayed with chemicals, we just cut the bug or bird bites out...an apple with a worm in it? We ate some of the good part, or put it in a pie and threw the rest away.
I washed my hair from the water in our rain barrel because it was soft, and drank it too,
thinking water from the sky was the cleanest!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by Ps 150
I was born in the early 80's (GASP! Did I really just say that out loud!?!?) and I can say, I was fortunate enough to have an old fashioned Dad who abided by these guidelines. I pray that I can raise my girls half as well.
Umm, I was born in 1930 - that makes me older than your dad...81 yrs now!
and you and I were lucky...but you know there are lots and lots of good people around everywhere who are like you and your dad!
There are lots of people who still believe in raising their children themselves, rather than allowing the t.v. to do it. Unfortunately, we're not considered the norm anymore. My girls have been called "old fashioned" because they wear dresses/skirts to church on Sundays, just as I wear skirts to church. I could understand calling a woman "old fashioned" for this, I suppose, but my girls are 6 and 8. If it's not normal for little girls to wear girly clothes anymore, then I don't know if I want to be normal. My 6 year old has been a tomboy for most of her life but has recently started to like pink and girly things--thus, making her mommy rejoice ;-) --but now it's considered wierd to like pink or wear dresses. I'm going to encourage this as long as I can, normal or not. :D

This is my tomboy turned girly girl...still transitioning. :D
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158283[/ATTACH]

My girls pretending to be in their favorite movie, "Singin' In The Rain"--at 6 & 8, if this is their favorite movie, I think we're doing a little ok considering what other movies are out there.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158284[/ATTACH]

My oldest in a shirt/sklirt combo she made herself. She wants to be a missionary when she grows up but wants to learn to sew in case "there's not a Wal-Mart near her mission field" one day.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]158285[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158278.jpe   attachment-158279.jpe   attachment-158280.bmp  
Old 02-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Love it, I'm making sure my daughter,, a new mother, reads this.

She is a nervous reck, having read all the new mother books. I' ve told her to stop driving herself crazy,, she's missing out on the joy of motherhood with all her worrying.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:51 PM

I remember sledding down an icy street across another icy street ducking my head under a barbed wire fence to come to a stop in a horse field repededly during fridged Minnesota winters. :-)I'm not sure how my fre
Old 02-20-2011, 07:16 PM
LMB

AMEN!!!!! I thank GOD I am proud of this generation... I was raised without the help of some Dr.s book, and so were my kids... it's called common sence. Thank you for posting this I am sending it off to my kids... they will get it!